Author Topic: Shipping Containers to Turkey?  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Janice1971

Shipping Containers to Turkey?
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
Here we go again!  Has anybody got a company that they can recommend?  also a rough idea of prices per sqm etc?

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »
It's expensive! We used Pickfords after getting 3 quotes. They will go around the house and then give you and idea of the size you will need and a cost. We needed a full container (20ft) and the overall cost was over £5000. Please remember that you need to pay port costs plus other expenses (normally quoted in US$) locally, also insurance and bandroll tax on electrical items. You can find a list of the bandroll items and the current tax cost on the internet.

You can import permamently now without hassle as long as you state that you haven't lived here for more than 6 months in the last 2 years and are retired.

I wouldn't recommend Pickfords as they couldn't get all our goods into the container and didn't tell us until it was shipped. They decided what to leave off. They didn't even warn us that we were close for us to let them know what do do if that situation occurred. We were left with garden chairs in Turkey and the table in the UK etc - not an ideal situation and the after care is non exsistent - they just wanted to know an address to deliver the left crates to!

We calculated the bandroll tax on TV's Hifi's etc and decided whether it was worth the expense. You don't pay on kitchen electricals etc.

When we originally furnished our house here in 2004, the standard of choice and quality was low. Having looked around and seen what you can get now and the choice, I think I would have sold my furniture and bought again here. Then I would have just paid for my personal items (photos, pictures etc) to come out which would have saved a lot of money.

I know many people recommend starting a fresh here and although that may seem expensive at first, if you are doing a detailed comparison, you may well realise that's not the case.

Hope this helps  :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 13:06:40 PM »
We used Sumerman International http://www.sumerman.com/

In hindsight though, we should have sold everything and bought new in Turkey.

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 17:25:38 PM »
It will mainly be our white goods, the kids bunkbed and personal stuff, is there any other way that anybody has tried?

Offline screamlead

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 17:40:54 PM »
We brought out all our kit via 20 foot container we used a turkish firm who subcontracted to a uk firm for pick up. Cost us well over 6k in the end with port taxes bandaroll and bribes.

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 18:39:44 PM »
Do you think its worth it?  last time we came out we only took about 12 boxes via DHL who were crap and didnt know what they were doing, hubby had to fly out to Istanbul to sort it, I think it cost us 2K plus £500 bribe, maybe i will just sell my stuff and buy second hand?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 18:44:35 PM »
You can get the white goods and the bunk beds in Fethiye, or nearby. Leave the personal stuff and get friends or relatives to bring it out bit by bit when they visit.

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 18:51:59 PM »
so who would you use for personal stuff?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 19:01:13 PM »
Depends on how much you've got.

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 19:13:53 PM »
maybe 10 large boxes

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo