Author Topic: Shipping Containers to Turkey?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline janmack

Shipping Containers to Turkey?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 22:48:31 PM »
I know several people who have used Pickfords and have been very happy with the service.  
I know Hotlips had a very different experience (as Martin and Teresa are our neighbours).  
We came out in 2004 and I don't think the company who shipped our goods over are in existence anymore as the name comes up blank on google.  
Anyway speaking personally I (and hubby) have never regretted shipping our possessions over here because, in our opinion, we could not have bought similar furniture as the quality really is not the same, even to this day.
Wishing you all the best with your move anyway... ;)

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
If you have any electric items, like DVD players,Sat box, Radio's, Xbox, Lap tops etc bring them over on trips in your luggage that way you should not get stung with bandroll tax on these items. We had to pay a bribe for our container but we were not told about it till after and found out it was for the pool table we had as apparently it's a gambling item and should not be imported, our taxes and bandroll came to 5300TL at this end, despite paying door to door in the UK we went with Doree Bonner who sub contracted it to Dolphin who in turn sub contracted it to a local comapny in Izmir,of course we were never told any of this and our contract was with Doree Bonner but we had to deal with the company in Izmir a lot on comms, we also had a few crates dissappear and obviously with 3 different companies it was difficult to say who did what, on the insurance papers it is worth taking the time to list as many items as possible and not underestimate to try and keep your premium down as we needed to make a claim and found out that generalising items was not covered on the insurance. I don't regret bringing our own stuff over but will point out to make sure it is stuff you use and get rid of the crap and clutter that you can build up over the years before shipping it.

Offline starman™

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:07:15 AM »
Just remember that if you do get caught with electricals in your luggage you will get stung for taxes.
Most important is make sure you find out who the destination agent is. All very well saying pickfords or dolphin etc but what they do is when you give them a job, they then ask for 3 or more quotes from destination agents in Turkey and generally go for the one that gives the lowest rates and not necessarily the best quality.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 20:53:53 PM »
I was happy with Bonners.   About 7.30 a sq foot when I did it 2.5 years ago.     I have also posted large parcels to myself usine Parcel 2 Go - all arrived intact with no problems

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »
Hi Liz, what did you put in the big parcels?

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 19:15:43 PM »
i've posted clothes, CDs, phots, books, kitchen stuff, a kettle, all sorts - just described it as personal effects and kept the value on the customs declaration low.   With the first one I had an email to say it was stuck in customs in Istanbul - but that was 2 days after they had delivered it - usually takes about 6 days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf