Author Topic: Bed Bugs?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Rayza

Bed Bugs?
« on: June 29, 2012, 20:18:54 PM »
Our daughter is currently staying in our apartment and tonight has reported that she has seen some small bugs on one of the bed mattresses. We think these may be bed bugs, however we cannot be sure. Does anyone have any suggestions how we can get rid of them? Is there a suitable spray available in Turkey that can used in the meantime until we can get out in August to replace the mattress? >:(

Offline Robw

Re: Bed Bugs?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 00:58:33 AM »
Hi, i used to deal in remediation of void properties and from my experience i would say burn the mattresses, there is sprays etc available in the UK but with the heat of Turkey id suggest a total sanitation of the property especially all fabrics.

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:27:40 AM »
Both hubbie and I got bitten to pieces last September waking up covered in massive bites...we think it was because the bedding had been stored at our maintenance companies ' laundry and some sort of bugs were in it. Though all we could see were some tiny black specks on the mattress.
We had some of that crawling insect spray ( in a red tin) so we stripped the bed and sprayed every surface of the bed and mattress-its really strong stuff the fumes were really powerful had to have a few breaks out in the fresh air... did that a coupe of times then brushed everything off( would have hoovered if we had one) and put on clean bedding.
Touching wood-no more bites on that visit and all was fine when we went out in May.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »
There was an outbreak of Bed Bugs when we were in New York a few years ago.  We were on the 26th floor of our Hotel and one morning we woke up with big red bites.  We were told on the desk it was mozzies, but when we went to a chemist he confirmed it was bed bugs.  He went on to tell us he had seen hundreds of cases.  He further told us that bed bugs not only are present in beds, they get into furniture, carpets and clothes and when someone packs their case in an infected room they may take the bugs with them in their suitcase so infecting the next place they open their case.   
When we went back to the Hotel and complained they changed our room and offered to launder our night clothes and any other clothes for free.   
We got a change of room to the 23rd floor, but we did see the Exterminators in full coverall suits, face masks etc.,  They closed off the room and sprayed everything, after that the room was closed for a couple of days.
I read in the local N.Y. paper that bed bugs where a terrible problem in N.Y. and very difficult to get rid of.
So, it's not just a case of burning a mattress.
However, the other thing we were told is, people rarely see bed bugs, they come out at night and hide during the day.  So if you have not been bitten you may have some other insect infestation.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »
Here's some info about them li'l critters.

http://www.medicinenet.com/bed_bugs/article.htm

Offline Rayza

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 19:21:00 PM »
Daughter has phoned again this evening to say the problem with bugs on a bed matress is still there despite spraying the mattress numerous times with bug killer. Apparently, quite a lot have been found dead on the floor after spraying, so i'm begining to wonder if these are bed bugs or some other type of bug. Fortunately, she is not using the bed. Oh well I think I will have to replace the mattress when we are out in August. Thanks for your replies, Rayza

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf