Author Topic: materials for replacement roof  (Read 2240 times)

Offline lynnj

materials for replacement roof
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »
Hi
Apologies if I have worded this badly - I have been asked to write this by a builder friend.
We own an upstairs apartment and want to have our roof redone as it leaked badly last Winter. An english builder friend of ours had a holiday in our place recently and has offered to do it for us, in UK style. I assume nobody would mind  ie Beldiye, local roofers, so long as all we are doing is lifting then replacing the roof tiles? If it would cause a problem, we will use a local tradesman.

We wondered why the roof tiles are built on metal rather than using wood as in the UK - is it a cost issue or lack of availability of materials or something else - does anyone know the answer??

If we were to have our roof upgraded in UK style, does anyone know if and where the following would be available to buy - 100x50mm timber in 4.8m lengths and 150 or 175 x 50mm in 4.8m lengths (preferably treated) ,claw hammer, additional roof tiles and hire of a disc cutter for the tiles.

Any advice would be appreciated
LynnJ

Offline Libra

Re: materials for replacement roof
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »
Hi lynnj ,

I know an english builder here in Fethiye ( Uzumlu ) , who is a professional builder. His name is Paul Cherry . This is the web site of his company : http://villas4uturkey.com/

We had our roof done by his team this spring. I am sure he has answers for your questions.

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
My understanding is that the main reason that roofs leak in Turkey is the lack of roofing felt -here in the UK the roofs are felt and battened before they are tiled they seem to miss stage out. Plus the cement that they use on the ridges seems to crack easily and isn't evenly spread in the first place.

Then in our case we have marble up on the roof on our villa too (why?) which is not waterproof either- we have now  become quite used the fact that despite having paid an awful lot of money on having the roof redone that every winter it will leak. I asked Engin when we saw him in May if there were any roofs that don't leak in Turkey...he proudly told me that his own roof didn't leak because it is simple (he meant a simple apex) he said you all like these pointing at the smaller roofs that go over the balconies and they cause problems! I told him that we have fancy roofs in England and that I don't know of one person whose roof leaks he just shrugged his shoulders!!!

I think it would be brilliant if you can get a UK style roof but sorry have no idea where you would get the materials from.Good luck.

Offline welshbrickie

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 14:49:18 PM »
the availability to get long lengths of 100x 50 or 150x 50 timber can be expensive,you can get shorter but its really rough and hard to get straight lengths.Plus in this climate it twists badly.
Using metal is better,they then use osb board screwed to the metal rafters,then the felt laid over the top.You need a high grade felt .turkish call it chati, maybran.  "3000" is the better grade.
you can buy it from most diy stores,Muharrem Kici from yeginler yapi market on gunlukbasi road has most materials in stock he is very helpfull and speaks english.Tel:0 533 636 00 24

Offline lynnj

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
Thank you all for your comments.. i will pass these on to our builder friend but my understanding is that wood twists, is expensive (if you can get the lengths you need) and that lack of felt is a problem on most rooves, as is uneven poor quality cement. One option we had considered was to have the roof redone locally but with felt added on as I believe some of our Turkish neighbours have recently had this done so I will talk to them about it too.
Thanks for details of possible suppliers too and turkish names of materials

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 11:56:12 AM »
We had our veranda roof re- tiled and insisted on felt being used. It still leaked slightly where the tiles met the house wall because the builders do not seem to be able to get hold of lead for flashing. They use either tin, cement or mastic and all three are not a patch on lead flashing IMO.

We recently had a leak in our second bedroom and when our co - owner went on the roof to inspect things he saw that a tile or two had slipped and because there is no felt the water could get through. It seems they don't nail the tiles either - just lay them on top of each other.

Good luck with the roofing  :)

Offline lynnj

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 19:49:00 PM »
Hi
My builder has asked if 2" x 1" sections of wood are available in different lengths? ie slate batons

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 20:21:47 PM »
Just as an aside Lynn, if you have apartments directly below you, under Turkish law, they are liable for sharing the cost of a replacement roof.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 07:32:55 AM »
My builder has asked if 2" x 1" sections of wood are available in different lengths? ie slate batons

Yes of course they are along with any other standard size seasoned wood and everything else you will need just find yourself a local builders/timber merchant, and if you want a non standard size they will quickly cut them them at little cost. .

Roofing felt as has been said is readily available, used on new builds and only needs specifying on re-roofs. I would also recommend specifying insulation.

Materials are not a problem. Its the quality of workmanship which is important as the roofs have to perform in a much more aggressive climate than in the UK. So chose someone who knows what they are doing just as you would in the UK; a number of so called roofers here do not for example use proper roofing nails, readily available, hence why tiles lift in the high gusty winds we get in the winter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf