Author Topic: Your First Song  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Your First Song
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »
Yesterday I listened to a brilliant interview of Tommy Steele by Danny Baker. He recalled that when a he was a merchant seaman he was berthed in New York for a couple of years. He was greatly impressed by the music of Buddy Holly. When he returned to the UK he began singing in this new "rock-and-roll" style. His record Singing in the Rain was my very first song when I was nine.

By this I mean it was my first "grown-up" song not the children's favourites that Uncle Mac used to play on a Saturday morning. And it belonged to me; it wasn't the sort of music my parents would have liked even if they heard it - which maybe they didn't. It is my earliest memory of "pop" music. What is yours?

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
Re: Your First Song
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »

Tough call Colwyn,but having an older brother who was into skiffle i remember Lonnie Donegan well.

Does your chewing gum loose its flavour on the bed post overnight ?    :D

Offline John64

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »
Killer Queen was my first. When I was in middel school each year the 12 year olds had a send-off show as they were leaving for highschool. I was 11 and one of the groups had an act wearing silver shoes with really thick soles and heals, and big wigs on their heads. They imitated Queen's Killer Queen and I was hooked. It was the first single I ever bought and many more followed. Queen, The Sweet, Slade, David Bowie...

I can still remember very clearly driving my car through Amsterdam in 1991 when some voice on the radio suddenly told Freddie Mercury passed away. In my opnion the greatest artis ever.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 15:49:39 PM »
At the age of 13(ish) I got the first 2 together. They were I'm In Love Again by Fats Domino & Bee Bop A Lula by Gene Vincent.

Offline kentish maid

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 18:09:56 PM »
Have just booked tickets to see Tommy Steele in Scrooge at The London Palladium - hope he's still got it!!

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 19:18:38 PM »
Semi Detached Suburban Mr James - Manfred Mann and Green Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones.

First records I purchased with my own pocket money, both bought at the same time, I recall it was with Xmas money so my guess is Xmas 66 or early in 1967.

First LP was Tighten Up Volume 2, cost 14s 6d from Woolworth's record department, I couldn't afford the Three quid plus for full price LPs.  Although I'm glad that I couldn't afford the higher price records as it hooked me onto reggae, a music form I love to this day.

That was in the days when reggae/blue beat/ska were almost exclusively bought by white working class kids, with the obvious exception of course of West Indian (not Carribean then) community.  This was long before reggae became fashionable for the middle classes (and the John Peel set).  Which was probably brought about by Bob Marley circa 1974/5.  Nothing wrong with the music of Bob Marley - king brilliant in fact - it's just that he had been around for years before being 'discovered' and seen as a respectable form of reggae by the middle classes, including many middle class musicians like Clapton, who found another song writer and genre to pillage for his own purposes.   

Offline scareylady

• Yes, she is...
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 20:56:02 PM »
First single I ever bought was Billy don't be hero by Paper Lace - Played it over and over on a little plastic portable record player I got for my birthday - Oh those were the days .......

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 22:38:44 PM »
Scott McKenzie, San Fransisco. Flower Power an' all that!!!

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
Inspired by "Whole Lotta Love", then the theme music to TOTP, bought my first album in late 1970 aged 12, Led Zepplin II, and still play it to this day (not the original album unfortunately !), still timeless !!   :)

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 20:59:10 PM »
Wow that bought back some memories. First record I ever bought was with my first pay packet and I had to order it as it wasnt in stock. Felt so grown up !!! Bet nobody else remembers it though . It was a present for my lovely Mum and it was Theresa Brewer singing " I want a butter and egg man"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf