Author Topic: To tunnel or not to tunnel ... that is the question  (Read 3700 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
To tunnel or not to tunnel ... that is the question
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
On a return from Dalaman airport last week, I decided to go over the top rather than through the Gocek tunnel.  Two reasons for doing this, one to check, tight wad that I am, that I am still getting some value from going through the tunnel and secondly to see if it is still as hairy on the over the top route.I last went over many years ago before they opened the tunnel.  What I couldn't see I can still guess at, big drops still and no crash barriers, and looney tune drivers still coming over the top at speed ..... so my answer  is YES still as scary as before!!

I calculated that the over the top route was 5-6 minutes extra (I was taking it easy see second point above!) and 4km longer in distance.  So given that it is up a steep hill for half the distance, and the car is a diesel then I calculate, if I ignore the extra time, that I SAVED 2TL  ;D ;D ;D by going over the top, and if I was to do this both ways, I would save 4TL in total, which is worth the journey over the top, or so I thought.......

However, I told my daughter of my plans to no longer use the tunnel, to be informed that when I pick her up tonight that there is no way I'm taking her over the mountain route, and that if I need the 70p savings so bad, she'll pay it, and further her mother agrees!!  Looks like I've been shamed again for being a tight wad :   :) :   :)

Offline cheers

Re: To tunnel or not to tunnel ... that is the question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
I would have shamed you as well especially doing it at night!   :)

Offline IanK

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 13:07:14 PM »
Don't forget other "wear & tear" - you may have used 70p worth of brake linings.

Ian

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 13:52:40 PM »
Timewise agreed its only a 5-6 min saving, unless you get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle, also the condition of old road is getting a bit worse  - and as IanK points out wear and tear - so for 4 lira iMO better with the tunnel, but I still use the old road sometimes just for a change.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 14:14:11 PM »
Went over this road for many years and always found the views stunning.
Wouldn't wish to go now though!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 14:41:45 PM »
 Well if you can use the tunnel and someone else pays for it then it's a result   ;)

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 16:15:07 PM »
Is it really only 5/6 minutes going over the mountains? I do not think I ever timed it but it always seemed a lot longer than that.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 17:03:42 PM »
Is it really only 5/6 minutes going over the mountains? I do not think I ever timed it but it always seemed a lot longer than that.
It depends who's driving John, as most of the Turks are in training for Formula 1  5 minutes would be about right.  ;)
I remember timing it just before the tunnel opened and our minibus driver did it in about 8 mins. Take of the 1-2 mins to go through the tunnel and you are at about 5-6 mins.
It certainly isn't the 15-20 mins I was told it would save before it opened.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 17:09:45 PM »
measured it last year and the tunnel saving was 7 minutes -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf