Author Topic: floor tiles erupted  (Read 2139 times)

Offline freebee

• Newly Registered
floor tiles erupted
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »
I have just had a report form my property managers that the floor tiles in my upstairs bedroom have lifted. When I look at the pictures its shows two complete lines of tiles across the room have lifted upwards by a couple of cm. seems like there where some stresses involved but  I can't think what has caused this -has this happened to anybody else. the apartment is 7 years old

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: floor tiles erupted
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »
You really need to get the tiles up to take a look...

Could be...

- water pipe in concrete has burst and lifted the concrete above
- movement in the property has caused heave in the floor

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
Most water pipes are chanelled through the walls and not under floors. More likely some kind of movement caused by tremors, earthquakes or subsidence.

Taking a look at the ceiling of the room below may show-up cracks or there may be fresh breaks in the coving around the edges.

Offline quackers

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »
Have you got anyone else near that has keys to your apartment and can go and look for you.

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »
We are on a complex of ten,  and recently ( the last three years )six of our apartments have all experienced it... and with us it was our lounge tiles in 2010  and then our terrace tiles in 2012   :(     We should have gone through our insurance but as we were out there on both occasions and insurance companies being too long winded .. we paid for both ourselves   £1000.00   :(
Many explanations have been kicked around...  1  sudden drop in temperature   2   tremors   3   inadequate and poor adhesive used ( hanel homes ) 4  vibrations of workmen drilling and  hammering whilst we were having alteration work on the second occasion... but we could never prove this, and its a very `grey` area.. Do   make sure you get a very good trades person to re do the whole area  ( its impossible to patch just the affected area, unfortunately the whole area will need doing )   vacate all your furniture even picture frames  etc  as its extremely dusty for days after   >:(   hence the need for a reliable good CLEAN  workman.

Doesnt happen on ground floor apartments it seems... all of us it happened to it was on the `first floor`
good luck  !!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »
Interesting topic. Sleuth's experience leads me to believe that it will most probably have been as a result of the earthquakes. There are no flexible joints and the tiles are rigid and often attached to the walls via a skirting. If you have ever been upstairs when a big tremor hits, you'll know just how much flexing and movement takes place and something has to give - which might also explain why it didn't happen in the ground floor apartments.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 14:29:43 PM »
our tiles have bulged out in the upstairs shower room,getting them fixed when we return
this had also happened the previous year to the middle bathroom
bayrum got us a tiler in to replace the tiles, bayrum said it was bad workmenship

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf