Author Topic: Connecting Phone Line / Internet  (Read 3722 times)

Offline bearcat

Connecting Phone Line / Internet
« on: January 23, 2013, 17:19:44 PM »
We have a wooden telephone pole positioned just the other side of our garden wall.

We would like to connect a phone line / internet to our house (I want to put in security cameras).

Does anyone know if it is the responsibility of the telephone company to provide the wire and connect to the house or do we have to employ an electrician and pay for the wire ourselves.

This is a bit of a long running saga as we did employ an electrian who ran the wire from half way up the pole to the house and chose to use what looked to be indoor telephone wire (I dont think it lasted for more than a week).

My neighbour said that his telephone company provided the wire and enough of it to wrap all round the iron railings instead of across in mid air, but other people are saying you have to get an electrician.
My neighbour also said he didnt have to pay for it.

We were also quoted £100 to do this years ago.

We are getting quite demoralised by all these terrible workmen. If I need an electrician, could someone recommend one who we could trust !

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Connecting Phone Line / Internet
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 20:08:43 PM »
Turk Telekom are responsible for the provision of the service to your property. You are responsible for any wiring in or on the property.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 20:23:30 PM »
Have you actually contacted Türk Telekom to get the line installed?

Offline Libra

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 20:24:43 PM »
When we moved to this house ( in Ovacık ) we are living in now in 2010 , I applied for phone and internet. There was a connection box inside the garden wall just close to the entrance gate. The former owner had phone connection , but the Türk Telekom men could not find the wire that came from outside the garden to our internal box. So they made a connection from their wooden pole to our phone box using their own wires and I had nothing to pay for this.

If you for any reason need an electrician , I would recommend "Gökkusagı Elektrik" : http://www.gokkusagielektrik.com/?id=6&lang=tr

Offline thebillet

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 21:27:26 PM »
Libra, thanks for the tip about the electrician, just what we need when we go out in March.

Offline bearcat

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 21:59:53 PM »
Jim, Years ago I did get the line connected with Turk Telekom.
At the time it was in a Turkish friends name. I ended up paying for 2 years, for a phone connection I didn't ever use. Partly because we were only in Turkey for 2 weeks at a time twice a year, we couldnt find anyone to do a proper connection and because we had no say as the phone wasnt in our name, also getting out to Turk Telekom was difficult. One of the days we did get out there ... they were on strike. Also, we kept being told to go home and they would come round that day, they never did. I now have residency and can stay a little longer in Turkey to sort this out. I should have asked on this forum years ago.

Offline Libra

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
Let me by the way remind you , that there is a campaign from TTNET for cheaper internet. If you apply till 28 February and make a 24 months contract , the first 10 months you'll pay half the price. ( e.g. the popular unlimited NETLIMITSIZ up to 8 mbps connection speed costs normally 63 TL , you'll pay 31,5 per month for the first 10 months if you apply ).

It is called "10 Ay %50 indirim Kampanyası"

http://www.ttnet.com.tr/bireysel/kampanyalar/Sayfalar/10-Ay-Yuzde-50-Indirim-Kampanyasi.aspx

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:27:55 AM »
TT net provide a service upto the nearest exchange and from then on its up to you. Works ok until there is a problem and ofter you find TTnet tell you that there part is fine so get your electrician in. The electrician then tells you that his part is fine and the problem is with TTnet. This has happened with us many times and it's so frustrating.

All I can say is take a very deep breath when you start this process as it is unlikely to go smoothly and will be really frustrating!

Get an electrician that is known for working with the telephone/internet as he will be far more effective.

Offline Libra

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:34:43 AM »
...or don't call an electrician , wait a day , then call back TTNET and say your electrician could not find anything and they should check again...

Offline bearcat

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 14:06:36 PM »
Libra, I would take up this TTNet offer, but Im in the UK.

And I have to get the wire to the house connected first.

You know I can never remember a workman that ever owned a ladder, which is why we previously had the wire installed from half way up the pole. Its just got to be taking the mickey.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf