Author Topic: Tree preservation?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline WendyA

Tree preservation?
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »
I don't suppose anyone knows whether there is anything like a tree preservation order in Turkey, do they?!  I'm sure this is very unlikely, but there is a nice, very well established tree on land in front of my property and just wondering if I could use it in some way to try and protect the land from being built on!   I know it's a long shot, but just a thought...

I can't find anything on a variety of searches, so I doubt if they do, but anyone know anything?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Tree preservation?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »
I am not entirely sure what the answer to your question is but I did understand that there are certain tree types that are protected in Turkey. Sadly my experience is that it rarely prevents development, they just disappear one night.

Offline Libra

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:22:55 AM »
TEMA is one of the best known and respected nature preservation organisations in Turkey.

Their facebook page  is : https://www.facebook.com/temavakfi

Their web address is    :  http://www.tema.org.tr/web_14966-2_1/index.aspx

Maybe you can start sending them a message , a picture  and ask what can be done.

Offline Libra

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
If you click on Fethiye on this map , you'll see infos about the Fethiye representative of TEMA :

http://www.tema.org.tr/web_14966-2_1/neuralnetwork.aspx?type=85&add=2

Offline WendyA

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »
Thanks very much...

Offline Libra

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
Good luck.

Offline buddy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 19:34:54 PM »
Gunluk trees are protected. We have 5 at the back of our place and they were getting too high but we were warned by a Turkish neighbour not to remove them. After extensive enquiries to the authorities and being sent round departments in circles we eventually were allowed only to trim them.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 22:18:37 PM »
As you walk up from the waterpark street to the main sunday market street, should you make that connection by choosing Sokak 965 (the first left of Genpa) - you will finally walk past a piece of land on the junction of Sokak 965 and the sunday market road. This was, I was told, entirely filled with gunluk trees and you could never even dream of building on it. Or Manazara's big apartment complex as it is known today...?

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 22:15:32 PM »
When we returned to our villa in Koca Calis a couple of weeks ago, we discovered we had a pavement outside our villa (opposite the forrest) - very nice - but oh dear, we've lost 3 large beautiful high eucalyptus trees that I always admired. Such a shame!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 07:53:34 AM »
As Scunner says, preservation orders are easily got around by just ignoring them.

Even in the UK we see it. I remember a guy who owned a wood near us wanted to build on both edges if it but the trees were all healthy and the council said no. Then months later someone hacked them with a chainsaw and the result was they had to be removed. He ended up building his houses and making a fortune out of a wood he bought off the council for a tenner!

Good luck though. I hope you manage to save the tree.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf