Author Topic: Decisions....Decisions  (Read 7436 times)

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
Decisions....Decisions
« on: March 03, 2013, 15:22:58 PM »
Would really appreciate any feedback.....(although not sure if posted in correct section!)

We will be in a position to by an apartment in about 3 years, but will only get a maximum 5 weeks per years usage, Until planned early retirement in 16 years. Do we buy in 3 years rather than later in-case of a huge property increase? or do we continue to take advantage of the cheap hotels, and then buy when we retire? if we wait will we be priced out? will Turkey go to the Euro?

or when we retire do we long term rent?......the options seem endless and we go round in circles all the time!

Any experience shared will be gratefully received

Scott and Lisa

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: Decisions....Decisions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 16:06:03 PM »
Personally I would wait until you retire. A lot can happen in 16 years.
The general opinion on the forum seems to be to long term rent first to ensure you are happy with your chosen area and you can look around at your leisure rather than jump in. Each to their own though.
Nobody can guess if you will be priced out or not. I think its fair to say that prices in the area have been fairly stagnant for the last 5-6 years.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 16:20:10 PM »
I would possibly add that 5 weeks use a year would make your stays quite expensive when you work it all out as a day rate, so as another option consider buying and advertising for summer lets to make a decent income each year till you retire to it. I think it's not a bad idea if you add that to it.

As bewva says, 16 years is a long time, especially in Turkey - but if your plans all seem to end with you retiring to your own apartment, I'd be inclined to buy it now while bargains are to be had and get 16 years of use and income, rather than wait and see what the market is like in 16 years time. With Fethiye, it's only ever going to improve - with promenades, marinas, who knows even big cruises docking daily - if it was Marbella you'd wish you'd bought when it was a sleepy little fishing village and Fethiye is no different in that respect.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 17:39:40 PM »
Or you might not have been glad you bought in Marbella cos you liked it when it was "just" a sleepy little fishing village.

I think you are planning way too early, about 16 years too early tbh. Rents for 5 weeks a year are affordable, flights are too if you plan in advance, have fun & enjoy Calis, who knows how it may look in 16 years time!

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 18:25:43 PM »
it is very true that if the place changes dramatically we probably wouldn't be wanting to retire there.....on the other hand if we have bought early on and the place really develops we could sell up at a profit and buy somewhere else.
And it is early to be planning but years roll by and i dont want to miss the boat.
i cant do anything for a few years so i might see how it goes for now

Offline Lotty

Decisions....Decisions
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 19:06:35 PM »
I certainly recommend long/mid term lets. If you're only planning 5 weeks at a time each tear you can have fun shopping around as we do. There are amazing bargains to be had, plus you can try different areas before you settle on something. Take your time.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 19:40:58 PM »
I have to say that I can't argue with your reply Mark. However, I doubt there were too many people who loved little Marbella fishing village who were that devastated to sell their sleepy abode for a huge profit and move on to a new sleepy fishing village with thousands banked  :)

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 20:24:28 PM »
sorry ive been misleading our 5 weeks are spread over 3 vists, or 4 weeks over 2 vists.

buying as potential investment interests me, but something in me tells me to keep it nice and simple in Turkey, we own properties in england and i dont want my landlord head following me on holiday.

Everything everyone is saying is all very useful

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 22:21:57 PM »
We bought a place in 2005 and just use it for holidays, but have personlised and changed the inside somewhat to suit us and enjoyed doing that.  We have never let it out but it is there for just family to use if they want too.  We will, one day, spend more time there, but we have no intention of moving to Calis permanently.  We just want to have long breaks in Turkey. 
We don't regret buying it, as it's lovely to have our own place and privacy.  If you have the means to buy your own place now, go for it. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 22:40:29 PM »
It is lovely to go out to your own place, having it just as you wanted it and just as you remember it. I also remember in my days selling property, how many customers came out lookng for a place of their own in the sun that they could also make a tidy income from - only to put their heart into it - furnish it, choose the curtains etc and suddenly find that they couldn't possibly rent it out as it had become "theirs"!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf