Author Topic: Decisions....Decisions  (Read 7435 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: Decisions....Decisions
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 22:55:15 PM »
Very true Keith.
Its also very upsetting when you go over and find that renters have not looked after your place how you would, stuff broken or missing, beds broken, things being put back in the cupboards dirty, pans burnt etc.

We rented a villa many years ago and we treated the place like it was our own. unfortunately not all people do likewise.

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 22:59:29 PM »
I could see that happening Scunner! we been looking at moving to a nicer area for years, but the house is just as we want it so we stay where we are. it would also make real sense for us  to buy another and rent this one, but same thing

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 23:02:38 PM »
Scott and Lisa, did you get mt message? It should be in the "my messages" in the dark blue banner at top of page

Offline Guy

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 16:42:21 PM »
Scott and Lisa, we bought our villa in 2011 and went through exactly the same dilemma as yourselves (and like yourselves I am not retiring for amother 15 years). In fact the dilema really stressed me out but I am so glad I did.

My biggest fears were with investing in such a far away place and then visiting the same place every year. Now on the first point, property prices are low and there are many bargains to be had. We bought our place for less than the original asking price 5 years earlier, but since then the villa next door sold for much more. The key to my peace of mind is that the villa is part of a complex and we have a very good and supportive management plan in place. As for visiting the same place each year, well Fethye and Calis are definitely on the up and change for the better year on year. We are constantly finding better places to each and drink each year and dont have to spend time discovering the resort.

We had to do some repairs on our villa (hence the low price) but our management team sort all this out for us. We also do rent the villa and make enough profit to cover all the costs so effectively we get 5 weeks a year for free......

What I didn't do was invest on the expectation I would gain a quick profit. I did this because I had the cash and found a bargain (I wasn't looking.......came back with a significant souvenier).

Hope this helps.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 20:05:09 PM »
It is lovely to go out to your own place, having it just as you wanted it and just as you remember it. I also remember in my days selling property, how many customers came out lookng for a place of their own in the sun that they could also make a tidy income from - only to put their heart into it - furnish it, choose the curtains etc and suddenly find that they couldn't possibly rent it out as it had become "theirs"!

Scunner you got us in one.  We bought with a view to renting out and making some money.  We even got a Company in to rent it for us, but at the last minute we changed our minds. We loved the place too much to let anyone else use it and sleep in our beds.
The lovely thing about using a place yourself is you can personalise and make it into your Turkish home.  The best thing of all is you can leave all your clothes in the wardrobes and drawers..
I think that the big problem with renting, you have to buy cheaper items to furniture the place and you cannot leave anything personal.
It then becomes a business, even when you go out and stay yourself it's similar to staying in an Hotel as there is nothing of yours in the place that you feel sentiment for and you cannot leave anything behind when you go.
Also you can never been sure who is staying in your place and how they are treating it.
I might add we have no regrets.

Offline grahamturner09

Decisions....Decisions
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 20:56:00 PM »
I own a property that I don't rent out I also sold a property in the recession at a profit and then found a very good deal an a larger property. If you can afford to have the money in a property and not in the bank I would say buy after the initial cost of buying the upkeep is not that great in Turkey

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 22:16:34 PM »
the last few posts really make a lot of sense,im already a landlord in England and think i would rather not have the hassle in Turkey, if i wait till i can pay cash for a property then ive only the upkeep to worry about, if i change my mind i can always start renting it.

Can anyone tell me the average bills/maintenance/swimming pool etc. on a 2/3 bed apartment in a complex?

Offline grahamturner09

Decisions....Decisions
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 22:35:02 PM »
I have a three bed apartment the maintenance charges are 60Tl a month and council tax is around £45 a year i also pay someone £100 a year to check on my apartment and keep my Turkish pay as you go phone active

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 22:41:25 PM »
i think i can live with that Graham!

Offline grahamturner09

Decisions....Decisions
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 22:48:38 PM »
Scott and Lisa, we bought our villa in 2011 and went through exactly the same dilemma as yourselves (and like yourselves I am not retiring for amother 15 years). In fact the dilema really stressed me out but I am so glad I did.

My biggest fears were with investing in such a far away place and then visiting the same place every year. Now on the first point, property prices are low and there are many bargains to be had. We bought our place for less than the original asking price 5 years earlier, but since then the villa next door sold for much more. The key to my peace of mind is that the villa is part of a complex and we have a very good and supportive management plan in place. As for visiting the same place each year, well Fethye and Calis are definitely on the up and change for the better year on year. We are constantly finding better places to each and drink each year and dont have to spend time discovering the resort.

We had to do some repairs on our villa (hence the low price) but our management team sort all this out for us. We also do rent the villa and make enough profit to cover all the costs so effectively we get 5 weeks a year for free......

What I didn't do was invest on the expectation I would gain a quick profit. I did this because I had the cash and found a bargain (I wasn't looking.......came back with a significant souvenier).

Hope this helps.

I have been visiting Fethiye almost every year for the last 20 years never get bored of it and there is nothing like having a home from home

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf