Author Topic: Should a New house be cleaned by the builder be fore given to the new owner ?  (Read 14155 times)

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
 Hi wonder if anyone can tell me.
 Our house is all but finished an the builder says I have to pay to get the house
   Cleaned.
I say why should I have to pay to get your mess cleaned up.
   As far as I know I'm buying a new house,which means it should be clean and ready for
Us to move in when the time comes.

I have also said that most builders do what is called a sparkly clean.
    Meaning the house is cleaned so that everything shines and it looks like a new house.

And would you buy a new car and drive out the show room with oil on the seats and the car covered
In dirt ?
   Do let me know if I'm right in this or I am just expecting to much.

Offline quackers

Ours was cleaned by the buılder before we took over. Had floor scrubbıng equıpment and a team of cleaners  ın all day.Stıck to your guns.

Offline Hamlet

Yes it should be cleaned, ours was and the builder fully expected to do it so.
However, when they came back 2 years later to do some repairs and some alterations we wanted to the pool, they didn't expect to clean up, until I refused to pay for the alterations until they had done so.
Stick with it & if you can hold back some cash.

Offline Jim Fraser

Seems a strange deal, I would expect it to be ready to move into so therefor clean.
Good warning to others to have that work done as part of the agreement.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Definitely clean, we even had all our furniture delivered and the builder (or his men) set that out as well.
We had 1 room (the bathroom) where the tiler had just wiped the walls following grouting, but he only gave it 1 wipe so we had dried grout on all the tiles, I said I would sort it and thought it would only take an hour, it took me all day the hardened grout really sticks.
The car analogy above is good, you never buy a dirty car from a showroom.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
us as well, house was cleaned to the "sparkly" standard by the builders cleaners, we were told this was standard practice you should defo not have to pay, rather naughty of them I think good luck  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Yes, our house was cleaned for free.  I also find it strange you are being asked to pay for this service. Who is the builder??

Offline sadler

We had to pay to get our new duplex cleaned 7 years ago.  We were told that this is common practise in Turkey.  Not only did we pay for their cleaners to clean, we weren't too pleased with the end result, and instead of making a fuss (I was waiting to go home for serious surgery, didn't have the strength) we paid an English couple who lived there to do it again.  They also thought that although it was a strange practise, it was normal for Turkey as they had the same experience the previous year. :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Who is the builder??
Peter said in a recent topic he was buying from Manzara.

I would say in 10 years I experienced just one (or possibly two) that wouldn't clean before handover and they were both cheaper end apartment builders. In some cases they were so bad (solid plaster lumps stuck to ceramic floors, proper builder mess) that we would pay to have them cleaned in the early cases, or with that knowledge at least tell the customer that a clean would be necessary before they came over to see their dream place in the sun.

Ultimately it comes back to the same thing - if they didn't say they would do it, and they have 95% of your money in their bank account, you are unlikely to pull out over it.

But I agree with all of the above - the moment you walk into your new apartment it should be shining like a new pin, however shiny that might be.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Never forgetting of course that a Builders Clean may not be your idea of a clean.  That applies in both Turkey and the UK!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf