Author Topic: Turkey and the Five Year Itch  (Read 6888 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Turkey and the Five Year Itch
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »
Anne's situation is so close to ours in 2008 it's amazing. We don't regret living there (far from it), we still love to visit, but when time to go appears it's easy to spot. I lost count of the number of people who gave me a knowing look and said "we know why you are leaving" - and I never asked any of them what they thought it was, but I am sure not one of them had a clue. 

We just felt it was something we really wanted to do, and that after 5 years we had pretty much done it. Cue 500 entirely different stories in Calis all giving the "real reason"..!

The UK hasn't all gone to the dogs like some say when they leave for sunnier climes. I think maybe I even claimed that. The UK is bloody good at many things and if you want to know what they are, go and live in another country for while. We appreciate the UK for things we never gave any thought to before moving away. I still get excited about visiting Calis and Fethiye, but I find I don't need to live there, I can do everything I want in a week with ease.

Finally, all the best of luck to Anne and Barrie - two fabulous people we have had the pleasure of knowing through the coincidence that is a mutual love of the area. Their return is most certainly Fethiye's loss. Good luck with the life story - next chapter coming up  :)

Offline busybee

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 13:48:45 PM »
Give my partner in crime 3mths and she will be organising raffles, books sales and all sorts for an English Charity.  Have her advised to join some sort of "do good" work as its a great way of making new friends and having a social life.  She will have to anyway, otherwise will be carted off to the looney bin, as she cant sit still or keep quiet for 5mins!!!! We have done so much together, some very good and some bad.  After the 2nd time of meeting her we went to the Hisaranou Carnival (well a few barmen with war paint on and a very funny band) and we stayed for the concert, on the way home she was dying for a piddle and p-ssed all over my foot.  Now thats how good friendship is made lol. Everytime we go out in the car we get lost, even in Calis, cos its natter natter, chat chat. I really dont know how I shall survive without her and sobbed for 3 days when she told me and get this orrible sinking feeling in my stomach when I think about it.  I understand their reasons for the return to the UK and admire her for her courage in embracing it.  Mick and I wish them all the luck in the world(not that they will need it), rotweillers are very resilient.  Love her to death.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 20:27:17 PM »
Anne

A decision borne out of love and consideration for others rather than oneself is both courageous and must be the right one.

Brenda and I send you and Barrie all our love and hope everything works out for the very best.

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 21:05:26 PM »
Anne and Barrie, Pete and I will miss you more than you will ever know and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your help, strength, support and determination over the the last 5 years. You are the stalwarts from the original carnival committee who have helped us get things done over the years  despite all of the problems encountered, and by god have there been loads! You Anne are the rottweiler who gets her teeth stuck in and won't let go until you achieve your objective and although the 3C's will roll on, things wont be the same without your tenacity and commitment.   We wish you both all the best luck for your new life back in UK and really hope that you are happy there. But like we have said, you won't get rid of us that easy as our family live only a few miles from where you are settling so all we can say is watch out, P & C are about!

As for the 5 year itch thing, we have now had a property here for 10 years, have been living here for 6 years (well about 10 months out of every year anyhow) but we still have a place in UK and would never give this up.  Who knows what lies around the corner or what next year may bring - we are keeping our options open and as long as we can afford to do so, always will.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 22:29:59 PM »
Iwas coping really well with the move until I read CBF tonight.. I am am becoming very emotional over leaving The 3CS... and all of it supporters.. I have had dozens and dozens of msgs. from here and FB pages as I am the internet seller for the shop and as a result have made lots of contacts and collected loads of donations from people who now know us.. This wont stop just because I have left.. The next person just wont be as funny and attractive as me of course..and I am working until the bitter end.. xx

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 22:36:28 PM »
OMG Mercury!!!! This is a shock Anne.  I cant believe you're heading back to the UK. Hope to see you before you leave. What a big huge miss you'll be. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Findik

• Newly Registered
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 23:32:30 PM »
I have lived in 'Oz' for 10 years then returned to UK. Have owned our house in Calis 12 years but never stayed more than 3 months in a year. This enables us to explore the country without yet getting tired of it. Still like to visit other parts of the world as well. If I had my way I would have a little bolt hole on every continent.

Offline Aaitken11

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 02:20:55 AM »
 My son said to us when he found out we were going that he would give us 5 years there. Always said if we have 5 years then we will be happy with that. 8 years and still here. We have had our ups and downs here and saw many of our friends move back to Britain. Barking dogs, cockerals, red tape, and being ripped off are the downsides of turkey for us but really I suppose nowhere is perfect. Would we go back, never say never, cause you don't know what the future holds.  I joined cbf before I came  here and although I don't often post I must admit it has helped me through years of staying here. Thank you for that Keith cause the itching hasn't started yet.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »
You are very welcome  :)

Findik's mention of Australia reminds me of another aspect relating to people returning home. Statistics show that marriage breakdowns amongst expats are consistently and alarmingly higher when living abroad. In Australia one in four couples split up within three years of emigrating and in Dubai it is four rimes more likely than the local's rate and 30% higher for Brits than it was 4 years ago.

Reasons given include the loss of supportive friends and family on hand to help in times of stress, money worries brought on by the global slowdown, and spending less time apart. In other words, I didn't know just how big a dick you were when you were away working all day every day  ;)

There is certainly evidence of a higher relationship failure rate amongst expats in Calis and Fethiye in my opinion. Not trying to make the whole idea sound horrific or that people considering such a move should be filled with dread for the future. Just stating facts and hopefully stimulating thought and discussion.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55:53 AM »
All the very best to you and Barrie with your move Anne, I felt a bit weepy on reading your post  :( jolly well done for all the wonderful work you (and all the other 3C's helpers )have done over the years for the children  :)
The posting by the other Anne is so similar to our situation, we too bought a small place to start with with a view of downsizing in UK later and purchasing a villa later on for our retirement (the amount of places we have been in and had a nosy round)  ;)and whilst we still love Calis I have most certainly taken off my rose coloured glasses in the last I would say 1 to 2 years... In my heart of hearts I know what has changed it for me is being there for the earthquake last year it was a good thing (in a strange way) to experience it but has made me realise I am not cut out to live in a country that is prone to earthquakes...
Also to hear of the unsavoury characters that seem to be cropping up more and more (the lads that were threatened with the machette the other week)the man in the computer repair shop,the buildings that have sprung up near us when we were told six years ago the land would not be getting built on  >:( it does start to have a bit of a blight on things in general.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf