Author Topic: Turkey and the Five Year Itch  (Read 6890 times)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Re: Turkey and the Five Year Itch
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 22:10:04 PM »
I heard about the earthquake some time after it happened and when I asked some people in Fethiye about it - they dismissed my concerns, as if it was such a common occurrence it was hardly worth mentioning.
What was it like?

Offline busybee

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 05:50:51 AM »
Didnt even know it had happened till I read it on here but it was very early in the morning!!

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »
Sorry I was referring to last June's one  ;)!!did not want to think too much about this week's one...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 07:55:42 AM »
Wrong topic? Earthquake? Five year itch?

:)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »
I agree with everything you said karrenina.. What used to be quaint. here aint anymore. Its downright annoying sometimes... We came with Barrie having already surviving 20 years more than the doctors predicted and we also came here with the attitude that if we had 5 good years we would be luckier still... but after a bad scare a couple of months ago sealed our descision to go back..His and our lives have certainly been better than we could have imagined but truthfully its not a country to be disabled in... The places we originally were always going to visit I have mostly had to go without him but with friends because they are inaccesible to him. We arent moaning about this. Its just how it is for us. We are pleased we did it and will never have any regrets that we tried it..

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
Who would be the longest running Fethiye area CBF member expat, and how long have they been here?

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 23:00:12 PM »
I have just come across this post and found it very interesting, particularly as I started a post asking what the situation was regarding people returning to the UK etc. I was ridiculed (nothing new as I am obviously NOT one of the 'in team).  Your post answered what I had personally observed and I agree wholeheartedly with what you say.  The grass does look greener but I think that 5 years on, people start to think differently and by 8 years many people take the decision to return 'home'.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 23:11:53 PM »
I started a post asking what the situation was regarding people returning to the UK etc. I was ridiculed (nothing new as I am obviously NOT one of the 'in team). 

1. You were not ridiculed

2. People who never miss an opportunity to criticise what we do here rarely feel part of the "in crowd"

3. Quit complaining, you do it even in posts you make on subjects that have nothing to do with how the forum is run. Such as this one.

4. If you (or anyone else) don't like the way we do things there is no requirement to come here. You have huge clarity on how a forum should be run (even though your experience of actually doing it is zilch) and I have spent 10 years suggesting to people who know better than us to get on and set up a rival forum and show us how it is done. In those 10 years few have put their superior forum administration knowledge into practice, and the few that did are no longer around.

5. I'd humbly suggest if you do set up a forum, that you avoid the whole accusing old British women/desperate for sex with local men area of discussion. They tend not to like that.

The rest of your post was ok though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf