Author Topic: Winter Heating Allowance being stopped for Brits abroad !!!!  (Read 5468 times)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Re: Winter Heating Allowance being stopped for Brits abroad !!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 18:18:23 PM »
I thank you too. thought you were,nt going to respond as you  said to highlander to any of my posts, looks like you cant resist, can you? ;D ;D ;D

Offline paul and barbara

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 18:59:24 PM »
i will be 62 in september and have just had the forms to register for winter fuel allowance, i will actually be 63 before i receive it , according to the form ,so you dont get it at 60,another gov load of bs

Offline marina

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 19:07:54 PM »
Correct paul and barbara! - I was 61 in February this year, can't claim my state pension (or get bus pass) until 6th January 2014.  Winter fuel allowance be will be paid November that year so almost 63!   >:(

Offline apollo

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 20:25:17 PM »
I've paid into the system as much as every other pensioner, my fuel bills go up in the winter keeping the house warm and heating water but for some strange reason just because I could afford to buy a one way easy jet ticket to Turkey, my contributions to the system are forgotten.

And by the way Apollo, you are wrong. Winter fuel allowance is not designed to help the vulnerable, it is there as a benefit for every pensioner, like me, who has paid their dues ! 

I think that you will find that most of us have paid our dues. There is no way that you can compare the cost of heating a home in the UK , on a pension, with the cost of heating your home here in Fethiye. With or without the benefit of EasyJet.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 20:50:34 PM »

If I were to return to the UK I would be claiming a lot more than winter fuel allowance and be an even bigger burden on the UK tax payers. :D

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 22:54:12 PM »
They have been showing the temperatures in various EU countries, in which people will no longer be entitled to the winter fuel allowance, which is ridiculous.  Many expats have UK addresses so they will not be affected. However, the way things are going, this government will eventually stop the winter fuel payment altogether so everyone will lose out.  It's hard lines that so much money is spent on overseas aid and to support immigrants whilst people who have paid tax & NI all their working lives are going to be penalised.   

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
You only get the fuel allowance at the age of 60 automatically if you apply early otherwise you wait the queue, this is the one fact the government do not advertise, strangely enough it is the same for Bus passes.   I did hear that the fuel allowance can be back dated, but that would need more investigations.

Gordon received his at 60 bus pass and fuel allowance (5 years ago).  We were sat in the doctors on our return to UK (after the ex-pat rumour mill saying we would not be able to see a doctor for 6 months, and we registered after only 3 days) and listening to a conversation realised that he was entitled to this benefit, and me being the mercenary that I am claimed it!!!!

Sometimes it pays to listen at bus stops, shop counters and doctors surgeries  ;)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »
Loz, my Dearest, I DO NOT HAVE A FRICKIN' BUS PASS !!  8) Didn't want, 'cos I do not need it !!  Maybe now that I have attained the ripe old age of 65, I may be able to get some more dosh out of the British Government, Oh, I know, I shall ask the illegal immigrants at the bottom of the road exactly what I can claim, they seem to have it all sewn up !!  >:( No questions asked !!

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Winter Heating Allowance being stopped for Brits abroad !!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 13:52:57 PM »
Mark my words, the next step will be to means test the state pension, those of us who have saved all of our lives in order build up a small private pension will be deemed as "Rich" and not in need of the state pension, and guess what? Few will oppose this move, just like the other retirement rights (Im refusing to label something Ive already paid for as a benefit) which are currently being eroded.

Offline Marggie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf