Author Topic: Winter Heating Allowance being stopped for Brits abroad !!!!  (Read 5467 times)

Offline marina

Re: Winter Heating Allowance being stopped for Brits abroad !!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 14:18:54 PM »
It used to be the case that bus passes and winter fuel allowance were given out automatically at 60, but not any more.  My OH was 60 in 2009 (64 in May this year) and got a bus pass (though he hardly uses it!)  and has had winter fuel allowance paid for the last 3 years.  All these 'benefits' have been changed to bring them into line with changing retirement ages, at the moment specifically for women who are no longer able to retire at 60 with a state pension, and is gradually being increased so that it's the same age for both men and women.

The only thing you can get automatically at 60 now is free prescriptions!

Offline Chinook

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 14:12:17 PM »
It still is the case that you get at 60 according to the Government web site. It is given per household and is not pension related.Mind there is a warning about eligibility for expats.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

A friend who lives in Yorkshire reckoned with global warming the South of England would be ineligible under the current proposals either that or there should be a northern weighting as its colder up there.   :)

Offline marina

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 14:52:11 PM »
Chinook - the link you posted states that you qualify for winter heating allowance for the coming winter 2013/14 if you were born on or before 5 January 1952.  So anyone  born 6th January 1952 or later (who could now be 61 like me) will still not qualify.  However, you're right that it is given per household and isn't £200 for each qualifying person.

I'd also go along with the northern 'weighting allowance'   ;) ;D

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 16:22:55 PM »
It also states very clearly that:-    you normally live in the UK throughout the week of 16 to 22 September 2013

Gordon claimed his state pension,  a letter was received informing him that he qualifies for a £10 Christmas bonus from this year, now what shall I spend it on ;D  ;)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 16:42:06 PM »
If 'cold' pensioners in UK qualify for winter heating allowance surely 'hot' expat pensioners in
Turkey should qualify for summer aircon allowance ? (or has this been mentioned before ?)

Offline Chinook

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 17:13:53 PM »
Chinook - the link you posted states that you qualify for winter heating allowance for the coming winter 2013/14 if you were born on or before 5 January 1952.  So anyone  born 6th January 1952 or later (who could now be 61 like me) will still not qualify.

Sorry senior moment . I'll just go and get over it with an Efe........... oh bugger beer

Offline marina

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 17:32:45 PM »
 ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf