Author Topic: Anti/virus security software  (Read 10904 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Anti/virus security software
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
I am after some advice please regarding upping my security for my laptop after receiving a call from my bank to say  someone had tried to make a payment for £1800 to John Lewis and it defo was not me, not sure if it happened online or what but is scary as I always thought to commit "fraud" the fraudsters needed the card obviously not... Anyway some one ages ago recommended Spybot which I have installed but since then I am being inundated with loads of c**p so not sure if I have chosen the right programme, any help greatly received  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Anti/virus security software
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
I think the one good thing is:-  our banks and credit card people always seem to get in touch with us when there is a problem with the card.  I had a call last month that someone was trying to take £1.00 from my account.  I was told this is sometimes a test to see if more money can be taken.  However, it was just a company I had signed up to, making a test payment.
I was really glad my card people where on the ball, as they always seem to be.
I am sure some techy person will give you some advice here Karen, but it just shows how on the ball your card company are to warn you and stop any payment.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
yes thankfully they were on the ball, I was so shocked when I got the call as the card nad never left me, the bank told me there was a smaller transaction tried first of all exactly what you just said to see whether they could "get away with it" I am now very concerned about my internet security as I admit I have been a bit lazy with it thinking it would not happen to me, hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice as this new thing I have downloaded is doing my head in but it may be a good thing I am just not sure!!

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:06:40 AM »
I tend to use a mixture of security software.'Microsoft Security Essentials'  'AVG' 'Spybot'  :)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
Ive used Norton 360 premier edition for years Karennina, IMO the best, you have to pay for it but has all the security and antivrus and unlike some of the free ones about, seems  to cover everything, you can get all info you need online and download it if you decide its for you.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
I also swear by Norton.
But what makes you think it is a computer problem?
I have regularly had fraudulent transactions over the years on credit cards but they always seem to know what is fraudulent and block them.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
Many thanks everyone I shall have a look at the recommendations and try and remove what I have installed as it is doing my head in :(
I don't necessarily think it is a pc problem but I know that I had been lax via my security I do tend to do a lot of online shopping so this has been the wake up call I need to sort out my security... thank goodness the bank were on the ball...  :)

Offline daveG

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 13:18:24 PM »
Yes we received our monthly statement from our bank with an entry of £273 for Asda Web direct.As the card is only used for flights etc and used over tel not web nor leaves our premises. We were dismayed as to how this transaction could be made.
We were advised that the card details could be" pulled out of a hat"and used, but my reasoning is where did the goods go to? this the fraud dept replied..oh that's not our dept!!
I'm still not convinced that a data info was not correctly inputted by the bank themselves. Obviously our A/C was credited but you are still left with the upheaval of having to change/cancel cards etc. 

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 14:06:51 PM »
I used to have McAfee but, after advice, I switched to Kaspersky which I find very good. £25 from Argos, £40 from Kaspersky. [The advice was that K has relatively little impact on computer space/performance but maintains good security].

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 06:22:57 AM »
Has anyone heard of or used/using security software called Panda Groupon have a good offer on for it but I have never heard of it, any info greatly appreciated  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf