Author Topic: Flight re-directed to refuel  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Ray1951

Flight re-directed to refuel
« on: August 19, 2013, 22:26:36 PM »
A friend of mine flew from Newcastle yesterday to Dalaman.  The flight was rerouted to Izmir for "refueling", which I found very strange in view of how close Izmir is to Dalaman. No one was allowed to leave the aircraft and no one boarded. They were on the runway for an hour and a half.  I do not know the company she flew with, I think it was TC but will confirm this later.  In the past I have been aware of 'double drops' but this wasn't the case here.  Just wondered if anyone on the Forum was on this flight and what they were told.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: Flight re-directed to refuel
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 22:29:31 PM »
Perhaps there was a shortage of "fuelling docks" at Dalaman for the aircraft's next journey? Just saying, innit ?  8) :angel:

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 22:48:43 PM »
I have twice been on flights that landed only a short hop to our destination, which was Manchester, on one occassion we refuelled at Luton, the other at Gatwick. Both times we were told that it was necessary to ensure that we had the minimum permissible fuel load on arrival & that was a safety thing, in case we had to "stack" or divert due to a problem at the planned destination airport.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:47 AM »
Nothing suprises me anymore re airlines, there was a programme on last week about Ryanair and how they frequently fly without enough fuel, was pretty scary and they seem like an accident waiting to happen :(
My hubby was on a flight a while back when a plane caught fire at Heathrow they had boarded and taxied he fell instantly asleep as he had gone straight to the airport from a night shift, he woke a while later and thought they had landed at Dalaman and thought great that was a short flight only to realise they were still at Gatwick! Because Heathrow was shut for a while all their flights were diverted to land at Gatwick so nothing could take off,  they then had to go back and refuel as they had used up some taxiing, all in all they were on the plane three or four hours before they could take off...
I think they all have to be prepared for any eventuality to occur whilst flying...

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:54 AM »
The only time we had an unscheduled stop was in Serbia to unload a guy that had died mid flight !!!!!!  :( :( :(
(We then had to wait for a tanker driver to be got from his bed to refuel us   :) )

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:33:15 AM »
That would be an absolute nightmare for his family, then having to transport him all the way from Serbia to UK. I think if I die on a flight I'll just keep quiet about it till we land in the UK.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:09 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »
It was totally inconsiderate of the man who died on the plane, to be taken off in Serbia.  Couldn't the crew have put him in the fridge for a few hours, instead of causing the rest of the passengers the inconvenience of landing and take-off again, some people find it very stressful!!!!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
I was on a flight from Dubai to Heathrow and someone suffered a heart attack on board. Well it was brill, the pilot said he had been given instructions to just put his foot down and land when he got to Heathrow - and air traffic control would leave the path open for him. I think we got in an hour and a half early. They should have a heart attack on all flights, highly recommended.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
That was my Dad - he always went out of his way to help,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf