Author Topic: Its not just the cost, its the quality!  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Carpete

Its not just the cost, its the quality!
« on: July 05, 2005, 23:03:37 PM »
We have been back in the UK for 2 weeks now after 8 weeks in Turkey. Its been hard getting used to UK prices again but we miss so much the quality of the fruit and veg. We went to Calis Market Sundays and Ciftlik on Thursdays and the fruit and veg we bought was fantastic. None of it went "off" as it does in the UK - doesn't ripen, just goes rotten-and we had no problems getting our "5 per day" for pennies. In the UK it costs a fortune and has no taste.  How families in the UK are meant to feed their families on 5 portions of fruit a day each.......We love cooking but I admit to being totally demoralised at the choice here of stuff that looks ok but tastes of zilch. Plus its raining, quilts on bed, jeans and jumper on body and  cannot wait to get back there!

Offline Sinbad

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 08:15:43 AM »
What about when you buy chicken breasts in Calis - who has ever been able to get two portions out of one breast with a UK chicken? The eggs taste like eggs. Tomatoes taste like tomatoes and not the tastless rubbish we get in the UK supermarkets.
If only fresh food could taste like it used to do many years ago ....... :)

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 08:33:38 AM »

The first time I went shopping for fruit and veg on Calis market I was amazed at how much stuff I got for a couple of quid - and the flavours....! Everytime I go I look at the produce available and I could weep because I know I just cannot get the same quality and variety at home, even the stuff they sell as organic is tasteless - and expensive! Then there's the cheese, the eggs, the olives, and the choice of herbs is fantastic!

Offline jwood

• Nottingham, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 09:33:28 AM »
We've just come back from 2 weeks in Calis and we love going to Fethiye daily market first thing in the morning. We buy fresh chicken thighs, onions, garlic, jalapenos, chillis etc.. and make a casserole that lasts several days. First class produce at a fraction of UK prices. We've only seen quality produce to match in the South of France but again more expensive.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 09:56:15 AM »
The funny thing is that in the UK the likes of Tescos, Sainbury's, ASDA etc, sell the tasteless, uniform shaped produce because, according to their martket research, "it's what the housewife wants". Have any of us met the housewife that really WANTS the sort of rubbish they stock?

Offline apollo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 08:17:05 AM »
Does anybody know anyone who has been asked?

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 04:11:14 AM »
I much prefer the irregular shaped tomatoes that we buy in Calis market that do really have a flavour than the uniform ones that are sold in supermarkets in UK but do not have any taste. Also the cheese sold in goatskins will be top of the list for the EU inspectors when they 'invade' Turkey.
Apollo, I suspect that noone has been asked about the type of fruit, veg that they want in supermarkets but it is a question of a 'market researcher' deciding what is best for us. And another thing, its all very well being ale to buy watermelon for .3YTLper kilo but when the thing weighs about 10 kilos, how are we supposed to carry it home? lol
Pete

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 05:42:57 AM »
Do what the Turkish family do who live next to us. They go to the wholesale market nearby  late in the afternoon and bring back two or three warermelons..............In the wheelbarrow:D:D

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 05:54:10 AM »
Thanks for that; we must put a wheelbarrow top of our list of things to buy next time out! (hopefully next month!)
Pete

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf