Author Topic: From the UK Department of Health  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
From the UK Department of Health
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »
A reply to my query :-

Thank you for your correspondence of 29 July to the Department of Health about visitor and migrant access to the NHS.  I have been asked to reply.

I note that you and your wife are retiring to Turkey this year. 

The UK has a residency based healthcare system, and entitlement to free NHS hospital treatment in England is based on whether someone is ordinarily resident in the UK, not on British nationality or the past or present payment of National Insurance contributions or UK taxes.  ‘Ordinarily resident’ means, broadly, living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being.

Once you and your wife move your sole residence to Turkey, you will not be considered ordinarily resident in the UK and will therefore not be covered by the NHS. 

Those persons in receipt of UK state pensions who choose to live in another country are exempt from charges for any hospital treatment the need for which arises while they are staying here, as long as they previously lived here for at least ten continuous years in the past.  This would include if they fell ill or were injured while on a visit here, or if they needed urgent treatment of a pre-existing condition.  However, it would not include pre-planned treatment or routine treatment of a pre-existing condition.

In all cases, the decision on whether someone is ordinarily resident, exempt from charges, or chargeable, lies with the NHS trust providing treatment.  They must make that decision based on the evidence provided by the patient and in accordance with the charging regulations.

I hope this reply is helpful.

Offline LeeGlo

Re: From the UK Department of Health
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 18:28:57 PM »
Very informative, thank you Kevin

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 18:36:25 PM »
So nothings changed really, other then you've stuck your head above the parapet to the NHS...

JF

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 23:43:20 PM »
I don't understand what point Kevin Sowten is trying to make, is he saying this is wrong , or unfair, or is he agreeing with The Department of Health ??

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 23:48:55 PM »
I thought Kevin was sharing with us information he has received in writing to an issue that has come up on the forum in the past.

Thanks Kevin

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 00:06:36 AM »
Agreed Nichola.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:33:10 AM »
I don't understand what point Kevin Sowten is trying to make, is he saying this is wrong , or unfair, or is he agreeing with The Department of Health ??

Why not ask HIM ?

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 07:05:23 AM »
I'd heard that the restrictions on ex-pats using the NHS might be relaxed if you had paid sufficient contributions - seems that it was just a rumour. We have always planned on 12 months private health insurance followed by SGK (provided that the rules don't change - again !!!)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:25:27 AM »
My 'false hope' derived form this consutation document :-

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/migrants-and-overseas-visitors-use-of-the-nhs

Excerpt :-

Detail of outcome. The response sets out initial decisions and next steps including:

•introducing a new health surcharge for temporary migrants (including students and workers)
•considering how to exempt expatriates who have paid National Insurance from being charged when visiting the UK•extending charging to care outside hospitals (eg to community rehabilitation) and to non-NHS providers of NHS care
•improving recovery of the money the UK is owed by other EEA countries
•working with the NHS and professionals to improve the identification, registration and cost recovery system
Seems that it got nowhere !!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf