Author Topic: Card Fraud  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Card Fraud
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
For those using cards from UK banks. What are supposed to do if your credit or debit card is stolen? Report it to the police, right? Well, no. You need to report it to your card provider and it is up to them to report it to the police (or not). It is their card not yours, and you are not liable for any financial loss (unless you have behaved irresponsibly or fraudulently) and you are not treated are a victim of crime. I didn't know that until a few days ago. I report lost cards to the bank but thought if I knew they had been stolen I would need to contact the police.

"Your card company should be your first point of contact - not the police. It will be up to your card company, and not you the cardholder, to pass the details to the police" (UK Card Association).

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/individual/fraud-prevention.asp

Does anyone know the rules for Turkish banks?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Card Fraud
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »
I don't know the rules in Turkey but it makes sense that it is the card issuer in any country that is first informed so they can immediately cancel the card.

If anyone had a CPP - card protection policy they would know this as it is a complete waste of money as the banks in the UK cover you for pretty much all losses and as such is the basis for claiming compensation for being mis sold a policy.

If you have a CPP and haven't cancelled it and claimed then please do as time is running out. There is 13 million (or billion) unclaimed at the moment.

You can find everything you need to know online.

I am waiting for my cheque as we speak   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
Yep, get your skates on! CPP reclaim period due to end August 30th and only 25% of CPP customers have reclaimed so far.

I would always inform card provider first but I thought I would then have to report it to police. Indeed I assumed the bank would demand this to ensure there wasn't any funny business happening.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 15:10:44 PM »
The credit card companies and the Banks do not want bad publicity, and often never report thief to the Police.
When my daughter's cheque book was stolen from her post box in her block of flats,  She did not know it was stolen.  All her money was taken.  When we went to the Police they told us they could do nothing as it was up to the Bank to inform them.  We made an appointment with the Bank.  To cut a long story short, the Bank had video of a man and woman using cheques on three occasions to clear out my daughter's bank account. They never asked for any identity proof and handed over the money.  It took six weeks to sort this out and  in the meantime the Bank  refused to give my daughter a loan for a month as she had a bad credit record.  This was because her account had been cleaned out. 
We were told that the Bank were going to take action against the couple.  However, they would not tell us what it was or any outcome as they said it was not our business.   After 6 weeks the money was refunded to my daughter's account and the Bank gave her £100.00 compensation.
We were told by the Police that Banks do this all the time because they do not want the public to know about any fraud that takes place with customer accounts.
My daughter closed her account and changed banks.
Only last month I had an automated call from my Bank to ask if I made a purchase with my credit card to the amount of £180.00.  I had not.   When I rang the Bank I was given the card number. It was not my card number. However, they told me that the number was from the new card they had sent me???  I had never received the card.  It had been stolen in the post.  The Bank then cancelled both cards and said they would send me a new one.  I asked about the purchase that had been attempted. It was made at 3.30am and was to an American website.  The Bank had declined it and had contacted me.
They never would admit my card was stolen.  However, they must have an address to which the good were to be sent.   As far as I know, no action was taken.  I got a new card.
I really think cards and cheque books should be collected or sent by special delivery signed for.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 15:22:20 PM »
I quite agree with you Jacqui that new credit and debit cards should be posted to be signed for on delivery and the postman should require proof of ID from the signatory. We have our cards sent to us here in Turkey and I'm dreading it when the next ones are due as we haven't had any post now, except signed for items, for 4 months.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf