Author Topic: To turn on or off .... that is the question!  (Read 6277 times)

Offline hazel dorrington

Re: To turn on or off .... that is the question!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 21:33:12 PM »
I never used to turn off the individual connections under the sinks until I got a message in UK from a neighbour telling me water was pouring out of my garden on to the road. The connection under the kitchen sink had broken and the whole of the ground floor was flooded. I now turn off every tap and connection I can find as well as the mains, including connections to toilets and washing machine. I also had a neighbour who didn't visit there property for several years and found their toilet had been running for all that time and they had a huge water bill.  I do have a small problem with air locks when I turn the water back on. I usually turn all the taps on full and after a lot of spluttering and noise it usually clears.

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 14:45:17 PM »
Whenever the water has been off , either by you turning if off a the mains or when the water has been turned off by the water company for repairs never ever just just whack the water tapes back on again as the sudden rush of either air if its been cut off by the water company or water when its cut off by you can be enough to blow pipes and at worst the solar tanks on the roof .
If you've turned the water off and know there's air in the system because you've drained something down always turn the mains back on very gently at first until you hear the rush of the water then leaving that like that go to to top most tap in the house and gently turn that on at first until the hissing and spurting stop and it has run for at least a minute , then turn it on fully just to check for any trapped air then turn it off.
Then work your way down the house turning each tape on gently at first until any spurting has stopped and then turn them off again.
Once you've done that you can then turn the mains tap back on fully again.

Having said that in some places the water pressure is so high at times it may pay you to leave the mains tap partially off so you don't actually get full water pressure but still enough to get the water to the top of the house and still run the showers without lack of in them.

The place we are living in has had is roof tanks replaced twice before before we moved in in the past and this was only because the water mains were just whacked straight back on by returning owners.

Hope this helps.
Oh and yes I would turn the water main off while you're away.

Alan. 

Offline snowtop

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 16:49:54 PM »
I always turn off the water if leaving the house for more than 1 week

Offline IanK

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 19:07:58 PM »
We always turn off  when the apartment will be empty for more than a few days - no question.

Don't want that call telling me its raining in the apartment downstairs .

Ian

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
Sound set of advice and instructions from Alan above.  Alan, you want to set up as a consultant in this subject area .... Leak Buster Services  ;)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 17:35:42 PM »
Just about to say the same UBT, great advice Happy_flyer. ;D

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 22:21:17 PM »
Why thank you, thank you ha ha

Offline hazel dorrington

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 16:56:14 PM »
Thanks Happy Flyer for your advice. I must have just been lucky so far but will definitely follow your instructions in future.

Offline happy_flyer

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 19:14:33 PM »
Anyone would have thought I was a Plumber in a former life, before the plumbing queries start flooding in ................. I wasn't lol
Just passing on what I've picked up since we moved here.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 22:36:15 PM »
Haven't posted for some time, but just got an email from our property care company, Rainbow, to say that they've just had a water bill covering the past 5 months for. . . . £500!!!! The villa has 3 bedrooms, with 3 ensuites (2 showers and a jacuzzi bath), with an outdoor pool. This bill is a shock to say the least. I'm wondering if it's a mistake and could be a bill for all 4 villas on the 'estate'. We had to have our electricity split into individual accounts and I assumed our water would be for our villa only. There is a well in the garden from which the pool is filled. Is this a normal water bill for a villa of this size for this period? Help!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf