Author Topic: Winter Pics - the last set  (Read 5863 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Winter Pics - the last set
« on: March 05, 2015, 13:33:46 PM »
Now when I say the last set of winter pics, I am actually saying there will not be anymore this winter cos you can now smell the arrival of spring.  Some more bad weather days for sure, but the important thing is the weather is starting to change to lots more good than bad :D :D

Anyway before I start the post of the photos that I took yesterday - Wednesday - I thought it might be good to show you all a picture I took on Saturday night when we went out for dinner to Uzumlu.  You must all know Uzumlu, by the company that it keeps.  Cos whenever I speak to anyone who lives there, particularly my good mate Syd (some know him as Stan), what a magnificent picture they paint. I call it The Land of the Midnight Sun, cos there is sunshine 23 out of 24 hours, never a drop of rain, snow, hail should fall upon it, nor indeed shall any storm pass over it.  It is is truly the land of plenty, yes a land of milk and golden honey.   ;)   ;)

Now before any of the Uzumlu Fan Club go for me, I have to say that I am an associate member of the fan club - not living there you see I can't have full membership - and I really do enjoy the place, the views, the restaurants and that sense of Turkishness that is sometimes missing in other areas.  Besides I am going to the Uzumlu Ladies Quiz on Saturday, and I've got my eye set on winning again so I should be careful what I say here, lest I raise a whirlwind here that finds me on Saturday evening ;D ;D

Anyway back to the picture I took on Saturday night which is of the heating rig inside the 'Uzumlu Scout Hut' AKA the excellent Cadianda Restaurant - where I enjoyed a superb curry with all the trimmings -  and here it is.

What a bit of kit.  Underneath resides the fire/furnace regularly stoked with timber, with the heat rising through the stove pipe around which is a powerful fan.  As the pipe gets hot the heat is blown by the near Merlin engined fan to all points around the restaurant.  Lovely food and your kept as warm as toast.... mind you why you need that in Uzumlu is still a mystery to me?  Cos I always thought that the temperature stayed at a balmy 75F all year round :  :) :  :)

Anyway onto yesterdays photos.  We start with a few shots around Gunlukbasi and Calis, including a few more of the ever popular Retail Opportunity photos, for those missing both the Turkish and retail experience... in fact it is almost Retail p0rnography, it is that good.  First stop is the Harrods of Gunlukbasi, the Animal Aid shop, where I dropped off the Present Mrs Tickets for here Wednesday shift.

Next are a few shots of the Gunlukbasi Road, taken by the football ground opposite the Mineral cafe, first looking up towards the main Dalaman Antalya road, and then back down the High Street.  You can see what a lovely day it was, which has continued today, really really lovely.. in fact as I write this our gardener has turned up for his first visit of the gardening year.

Bet you ladies like the Palais de Shop I've picked for you in the next few shots..... who needs shoe or handbag shopping, there's nothing quite like getting the groceries...

The mighty Bims, so good I took a shot of the Calis Branch too ;D

Then round the corner to the very nice Babafirin, which opened late last year near to the Sunday Market, opposite Arkwrights hardware Emporium.  Excellent croissants and pain au chocolate and other such goodies, but the baked range has been extended to include DONUTS!!! really lovely proper donuts, which comes in two flavours jam and custard mmmmmmmmmmmmm those custard ones are to die for, stuffed full of lovely custard.

Right lets push out a bit, firstly to my favourite, favourite bakers.  Which is located at the beginning of Ciftlik village high street.

No doubt in my mind, and indeed on my waist, this is where they bake the best bread.  And that is saying something in this area.

Now on the road to neighbouring Cargi, and this is the view looking back down Ciftlik high street, with a snow covered Baba Dag in the distance.  We are going to take a tour through Cargi and then onto Yaniklar, and taking the back road back through to Cargi and iftlik again.  A really nice rural part of this area, with it's light horticultural areas.

The dry dock at Cargi.

Now work this one out?  No it is not a Stairway to Heaven, in fact it is not a stairway to anywhere!!  I used to be a poles and holes man at the Post Office Telephones, which was renamed BT, a fact always opposed by myself and other members of the PMGRA (Post Master General's Revolutionary Army)).  Anyway I digress again, in all those years of loyal service to telephones and Post Office Subscribers alike, I never saw a pole climb like this one!

Views over Yanlikar, and around.

Now when I took this picture, no word of a lie, all I could smell was orange.  You couldn't make it up, it was so lovely.

And no this is not a Hanel House, it just needs some TLC and a bloody good roofer.

A view from the back road across Cargi and Ciftlik, with the sea of Fethiye Bay in the distance.

Heading back into, as the road sign says, Ciftlik, with the snow capped mountains across to Antalya in the distance.

Back to Calis Promenade, to show a few of the establishments closed for the winter, which will all come alive again in the next few weeks.  Starting here with the Mutlu.

And finally a stop for a well earned drop of refreshment.

And there's only one thing better than the above and that's....

T.T.T.T.T.T.T.Ttttthat's all folks!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 14:19:48 PM by usedbustickets »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Winter Pics - the last set
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 13:40:08 PM »
Great stuff UBT - thanks for taking the time to upload so many photos and adding a narrative.  :)

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 13:58:37 PM »
Nice one.Tnks for the pics  :)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 14:05:02 PM »
That was great - thank you!

Offline Lotty

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 16:23:28 PM »
We both really enjoyed these photos! Everything looks so fresh and promising! Thank you!   :)  :)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 16:40:03 PM »
Lovely photos and commentary.  What a beautiful blue sky, glad to hear spring is on its way.  Nice to hear about the babafirin as the apartment we rent is just around the corner.  only 12 weeks to go before we come back!!

Offline IanK

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 17:58:04 PM »
Great stuff UBT - thanks for taking the time to upload so many photos and adding a narrative.   :)

Highlander saved me some typing!

Ian

Offline Menthol

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 22:48:17 PM »
Lovely stuff, UBT. Thank you.

And echogirl, Babafirin is lovely. Their 4 lira multigrain loaf is absolutely delicious. And I will second the praise for the donuts too.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:34:58 AM »
Great pics & narrative UBT, as usual  :D

Look forward to meeting you at the Caddie on Saturday.

As you see here, the welcoming committee is gathering for you  8)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 15:15:21 PM »
Well done sir. Superb !!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf