Author Topic: Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant  (Read 10428 times)

Offline sandgrounder

Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »
We have recently returned from a short break in Cornwall and can highly recommend this wonderful restaurant. Not a place for anybody who doesn't like seafood but, if you do, then this is a must try place. Set in the beautiful harbour town of Padstow, this restaurant is the choice of many of the countries top chefs. The previous evening Gordon and Tania Ramsey dined there and Heston Bloominthingy eats there at least 4 times a year!

It isn't surrounded by the trappings of Michelin stars so don't be worried about any particular dress code. The staff are helpful, very knowledgeable and very enthusiastic with regard to the food on offer. The menu changes everyday, depending on the fresh wares available on the harbourside.

If you want to dine at a table then you have to book well in advance but you can also wander in off the street and dine at the bar. We were booked in advance and enjoyed a wonderful meal without being rushed. The waitress explained all the seafood on the menu, how it was caught, how it is cooked and how the different sauces compliment the individual fish etc.

The price isn't bad either. 2 starters, 2 mains and 1 dessert came to £98.00. So, if you ever find yourself in Cornwall, consider giving this place a try, you won't be disappointed.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »
Do they do mortgages ?  ;)

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »
That's why the Mrs didn't have a pudding KK  ;D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
OMG The people here in Calis would collapse at those prices.  Every the Ada is cheaper than that. 
I also think a lot of these places owned by Chefs hardly every see the owner.  He generally puts his name over the door and seldom comes to the place again.

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:22:48 AM »
OMG The people here in Calis would collapse at those prices.  Every the Ada is cheaper than that. 
I also think a lot of these places owned by Chefs hardly every see the owner.  He generally puts his name over the door and seldom comes to the place again.

It isn't in Calis Jacqui, that's why the post is in "All things that have nothing to do with Turkey".

With regard to the owners not being there, A top Chef does not open a restaurant with the intention of just putting his/her name over the door. They Put many years into training junior chefs to their exacting standards and only when they are completely satisfied will they promote to head chef in any particular restaurant. We have eaten in quite a few "fine dining" establishments where the name above the door has not been there. The restaurants still retain the Michelin stars and some, under the guidance of a junior chef, have gone on to claim an extra star. We have also eaten in restaurants where the "name" has been in the kitchen and we could actually hear them dishing out the orders to the staff:-)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
I'd love to go there Sandgrounder. I adore seafood. I'd also like to visit that part of the UK. Never been that far south. For a special meal I'd be happy to pay that especially since we recently had a lunch of 2 starters, 2mains, 1 beer and 1 soda/lime and it was £83 in a no Michelin star restaurant!!!! That was a shocker but it was a treat. One day I'll take a UK holiday and maybe head "down South" and book Rick Stein's place.   :)  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
Rick Stein also has a traditional fish & chip shop {eat-in and takeaway} in "Padstein". Hilary ate there once and was impressed.

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »
You should Toky, it's well worth it. Cornwall is beautiful and whilst there you should also take in the Eden Project. We went and bumped into this chap :D

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
Seeing more of the UK is on my to-do list Sandgrounder. One day, one day.   :)

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
Rick Stein also has a traditional fish & chip shop {eat-in and takeaway} in "Padstein". Hilary ate there once and was impressed.

He also has a fishmongers, a deli, a bistro, a pub and 4 B&B's lol

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf