Author Topic: a fond farewell to Calis  (Read 10801 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Re: a fond farewell to Calis
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 21:33:25 PM »
3 excellent reasons to return to the UK. 
Returning to the UK, grateful for the experience, would not have missed it for the world, it made us fully appreciate what the UK offers, warts 'n' all.

Best wishes.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 21:35:25 PM »

Returning to the UK, grateful for the experience, would not have missed it for the world, it made us fully appreciate what the UK offers, warts 'n' all.

x2 precisely.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »
We wish you and your family all the best for the future Mark. We are currently making plans to return as well.

Offline sadler

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »
Enjoy you grandchildren Mark. We have 12 now! Would I be without them? On very rare occasions, yes, but after a nap and a pill for the head and ear aches, never!  :D ;D

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 17:07:00 PM »
We were talking at home last night about how many people have left what was going to be their forever home.  Barrie and I amongst them... This month alone another 3 couples who are long term members of this forum and have also made a big contribution to the area they have called home for 7/8 years... We see them every time we go to Calis and we are really going to miss them... I can name off the top if my head at least another 20 who are no longer living there and quite a few more who have died too soon... There are also those who would move if they had the funds too... Changing times... We will never say never again. We also would never judge why people decide to stay or leave.. What ever makes you happy... We had no regrets going to live there or in fact coming back to the UK... We live in a beautiful peaceful part of the country as we did in Fethiye. We consider ourselves very lucky...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 18:32:54 PM »
One of the first couples we met there full time were a fireman and his wife who retired from the UK - they had a lovely apartment and a few meals out and told me that after one year of living there (that day) they had enjoyed a pleasant standard of living and had a modest amount more in the bank than the day they arrived a year ago. That was retirement and interest rates (and Efes prices  ;) ) and that is pretty difficult to achieve now.

People who needed to live odd their interest are quite often back in the UK or thinking about it.

A bottle of local votka was around £4 ten years ago, how much now - £16? If the same increase happens over the next 10 years it will be £64 a bottle!!

Change votka for red meat, or gas bottles, or electricity - same story.

High interest returns and low prices are gone. People are going.

I believe we lived there for the best years for Brits over there, and if that upsets anyone, tough!

Good luck to the lovely Mark, a true gent.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 06:21:24 AM »

High interest returns and low prices are gone. People are going.

I believe we lived there for the best years for Brits over there, and if that upsets anyone, tough!

Quite agree Scunner, but that isn't the only thing, in our case we are concerned about coping when we're older and frail. The heat has really got to us this year. The endless bloody bureaucracy (every year now) to get your RP sorted. The uncertain polital and economic situation. We've just had enough.  Having said that I dare say once we're back in the UK we will only remember the good bits about living in Turkey and will miss Beautiful Fethiye & Calis

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 14:08:32 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and good wishes, it was not an easy decision to make, we have had seven great years here and made many good friends along the way. I am sure we will be back quite often for holidays (with Abigail and the boys in tow)
A special thanks to Keith (Scunner) without the hard work he has put in running CBF over the years, we would not have found Calis and enjoyed a well extended holiday.
Mark

Offline Phil

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 15:52:51 PM »
A fond farewell to our favourite neighbours - a constant source of good advice and wisdom - and two genuinely nice folk. I am sure they will be missed by their many friends.

Good luck and best wishes for the future to you both.

Phil and Karen

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 17:37:36 PM »
When we first purchased in Turkey, Mark and Carol were our next door neighbours at Lemon 1.  I can still remember a group of us following Mark around because he knew what he was doing.  So funny.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf