Author Topic: US Dept. of Defence orders families of military personnel to leave Turkey  (Read 3292 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
The United States Department of Defense (DoD) has ordered for the departure of the families of DoD personnel in Adana, Muğla and Izmir, citing security fears, especially threats stemming from the activities of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

https://www.turkishminute.com/2016/03/29/us-orders-families-military-personnel-leave-turkey/

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
I wonder what Cameron will say to this

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Nothing

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
We're all in it together !  ;)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
I like the way that USA citizens can notify their government when they are travelling and to where, and receive via e-mail or their phone security statements of a country and more particularly alerts as they are made.  British Government does not do this, can't see why.  Another example of Gideons Austerity getting in the way of protecting/supporting the UK citizens. >:(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
You can receive alerts from the FCO by registering here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/british-nationals-overseas/email-signup

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The American SMS alerts are a good system, and when used correctly (by the traveller as well as the state dept.) has probably saved lives and avoided folks getting into situations they shouldn't have.

The flip side is that it breeds a sense of blind reliance on what information they're given.  I experienced this in Istanbul in the years subsequent to the 2003 bombings - myself and a couple of other guys used to organise events for ex-pats, boat trips, parties, etc.  Invariably, the complaints relating to event security always came from the American contingent, often on the back of a security warning issued by the consulate. 

On one particular evening, we took over the top floor of a popular Nevizade bar and the place was bouncing.  A group of Americans who were in the 'Bul for a short time started giving me a hard time over the fact we'd advertised not only the venue & time of the event online, but that we'd also highlighted it was foreigners only. 

After having a mobile phone with some security warning on it waved in my face for the umpteenth time and again being told "Y'all should be taking more care of us" I'd had enough - I took this redneck across to the bar and introduced him to a slightly disheveled looking guy who was quite clearly p1ssed as a rat and having a great time. 

"Here you go, this is xxxxxx and he is the xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx at the consulate in Yenikoy.  He's the one that wrote your warning message."

Curiously, I didn't receive a "thank you" text or email from him for having facilitated a meeting between him and a concerned traveller visiting his city of employment.  I've never wondered why.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
You can receive alerts from the FCO by registering here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/british-nationals-overseas/email-signup
Thanks. Signed up and waiting for my first daily email.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
It'll probably end up in your junk folder...

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
signed up to the email service, but wouldn't have minded an sms service either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf