Author Topic: A President with Decency and Dignity  (Read 2207 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
A President with Decency and Dignity
« on: April 25, 2016, 17:36:33 PM »
Today is ANZAC Day, a commemoration of the nine thousand or so Australian & New Zealand soldiers who died during the Battle of Gallipoli.

Despite various sources suggesting that the following was actually delivered by Şükrü Kaya (the Interior Minister), and not Atatürk himself - I prefer, maybe misguidedly, to believe that even if they weren't delivered by Atatürk, they were written by him.

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

The above version is inscribed on the Kemal Atatürk Memorial, Anzac Parade, Canberra.

More than one of his successors to the title of President of the Republic could learn a thing or two from him; but then again, they know that.

JF

Offline marina

Re: A President with Decency and Dignity
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 17:50:27 PM »
Our youngest daughter lives in Wellington NZ and last year when we visited them we just missed ANZAC day, but we could see from the preparations going on, everywhere we went, just how important this is to them. There were no half measures, everyone wanted to be involved in honouring their countrymen killed in this battle.

Those are very moving words and I, too, would like to think they came from Ataturk himself.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 17:55:07 PM »
A wonderful sentiment especially coming from the victorious Turkish commander of the battle and not so long after the war. Australians and New Zealanders seem to commemorate this conflict in the Dardanelles much more than than the French (who lost nearly as many people as Aus and NZ put together) and the British (who lost over three times more).

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 17:57:37 PM »
This is the Scottish folk singer/songwriter Eric Bogle's take on it all:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YLUZgzEnE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YLUZgzEnE</a>

JF

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 20:59:43 PM »
My husband and I went to Gallipoli (Çanakkale) few years back. Really ınteresting visit. These words are also inscribed on a memorial there.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 21:48:49 PM »

Several years ago a member posted a link to a site where you could take a virtual tour around this, and several more

important memorials, and you could rotate the camera 360 degrees and up or down. It really was clever and I had it

bookmarked for a few years. A very special set of words.

Offline daveG

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 21:53:22 PM »
Attended my local probus meeting earlier in the month and although through Fethiye/Turkish commemorations I was aware of  Anzac Day and the loss of lives to theAussies/Kiwis surprisingly how little I was aware of the involvement of our own British/Irish forces which as Colwyn stated had such huge casualties.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »
You have to remember that the total population of Australia and NZ at that time was about 6 million. 46 million or so for GB and Ireland, so proportionately,  ANZAC losses for this particular campaign were probably more deeply felt.

Another comparison is that Commonwealth forces suffered 60000 dead on the first day of the Somme alone.

Yet another comparison is that The Ottoman Empire lost more than all the Allies combined at Gallipoli.

No matter who wrote those words, they are very moving.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf