Author Topic: The end of secularism in Turkey?  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Dutchie

Re: The end of secularism in Turkey?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 15:54:26 PM »
I assume he didn't mean Pennsylvania-soon-to-be-Canada because they were best buddies in 2008.

Probably an american/israeli/zionist plot that the Turks are rather keen on.

Whatever happens in Turkey...blame it on the zionists.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 15:59:01 PM »
I had interpreted KK's Turkish teacher's remarks as implying that the AKP plan to infiltrate all areas of the state and then stage an Islamist coup without effective, establishment opposition was being masterminded and funded by Gulen.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 16:18:41 PM »
"The existing system is still in power. Our friends who have positions in legislative and administrative bodies should learn its details and be vigilant all the time so that they can transform it and be more fruitful on behalf of Islam in order to carry out a nationwide restoration. However, they should wait until the conditions become more favorable. In other words, they should not come out too early."

{attributed to Fethullah Gulen, 1999, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fethullah_G%C3%BClen}

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 16:24:33 PM »

I had interpreted KK's Turkish teacher's remarks as implying that the AKP plan to infiltrate all areas of the state and then stage an Islamist coup without effective, establishment opposition was being masterminded and funded by Gulen.

I understand (sorry but I'm obviously a bit slow today).
Good point you're making, could very well be what he meant.

Do you know who and what your teacher meant Kayakebab?

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 17:21:03 PM »
He said they're behind all problems in the world..
He said that wealth ( from u.s ) would increase in Turkey, nicer homes, new cars etc. Money would come from America basically paying the govt to be more Islamic so that they can later declare them fanatical and have an excuse to declare war on them and get a more strategic position in the Middle East.
Sounds far fetched and i told him so at that time.
Given the number of new cars and covered women now in Fethiye I'm starting to think maybe he had a point !

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 17:27:54 PM »
So I was quite wrong then and Dutchie was right in the first place - just another crazy conspiracy theory.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 22:17:28 PM »
America has and had a plan for everyone in the middle east. Why don't they take control of their own country and keep their noses out of everyone else's country. I think your teacher is right Kayakebab.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 08:18:35 AM »
Theyre back tracking now and saying the no secularism was the speakers own opinion...
Protests overnight, usual tear gas... :(

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 09:50:02 AM »
Theyre back tracking now and saying the no secularism was the speakers own opinion...

The backtracking started yesterday, shortly after they realised the sh1tstorm the remarks had created.  Also partly in response to the fact that most western media picked up on the significance of the speech and reported it pretty widely.  Not good for a government that is trying to screw funds out of the EU, a body comprised wholly of secular countries.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory, and many of my Turkish friends seem to revel in them - especially when it comes to the US.  In my opinion, if the US wanted a "stronghold" close to the middle east, there are far better candidates than Turkey.

If you want to know a bit more about Gulen, and his links with Erdogan, this article makes a good stab at it: Everything you've ever wanted to know about Fethullah Gulen, Turkey's most controversial cleric

JF

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »
Interesting reading John.   
I confess to not taking too much notice of Turkish politics until very recently, not fully understanding it all most of the times.  The situation now though has me trying to grasp a better understanding of it and that article opened another world to me.
Like many others with a holiday home there I was quite content to enjoy it and let the world go by.  Unfortunately I fear we will not have that luxury for too much longer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf