Author Topic: EXCHANGE RATE  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 20:13:22 PM »
Sorry Fethiye, but Scottish notes are a legal currency and are accepted outside the U.K. we have changed them in other countries such as Holland, and please do not tell a Scottish person that his currency is not legal - you would hate the repercussions (I am not Scottish I live in Scotland).
Jacqui.

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 20:15:03 PM »
you tell em jacqui!!

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 22:05:11 PM »

Although Scottish notes are a legal currency they are not always accepted as you say even in England. I work in a foreign exchange and although we accept Scottish and Northern Irish notes we have to send them to the bank and we have not to give them as change to customers.To be honest I wouldn't be able to spot a counterfeit Scottish note, thats probably the real reason why they are not generally accepted. Apologies to all our Scots members!:D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 23:17:58 PM »
Would you be able to spot an English counterfeit note?  In Scotland we never get counterfeit Scottish notes, but we do get counterfeit English ones, £20.00 notes and £50.00 notes.  A lot of shops have machines to check the English notes and some shops now refuse to accept English £50.00 notes, due to the large amounts of fakes.  However, as a shop keeper in Scotland, I accept all currency, my opinion is if a person wants to spend his money and take the trouble to visit my (adopted) country.  I will be good enought to accept his currency.
Jacqui.

Offline shelli

EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 12:30:08 PM »
Thanks, you've all been very helpful!

Offline apollo

EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 12:54:28 PM »
When our family come to stay they also use the clothes shop. The rate has always been competitive.
This is easily checked, exchang offices and the banks are close by.
I always double check with him, if there are any commission charges and before I accept his rate I get him to write down exactly how many lira I am going to recieve. He is always pleased to help.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 13:26:00 PM »
We used the clothes shop once, he gave us a great rate then charged us whopping commission.  Never used him again.
We now put our holiday money into our Nationwide Flexi a/c and draw as needed.  No commission and no charges!
Anne

Offline Fethiye

EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 16:27:54 PM »
Hi Jacqui,

It's not that straighforward........

In Scotland and Northern Ireland, no banknotes are legal tender, and each bank which issues banknotes does so in the form of its own 'promissory notes'. The Bank of England backs each of these notes with 1 GBP (interestingly because of the sums involved they use 1 million GBP notes for this!) (I want one or ten!).

In any case Turkey doesn't like the Scottish notes and therefore will not accept them.

This is not a reflection on whether or not Turks like Scots but it's merely down to banking practices.

Best wishes,

Iain (That's the Scottish spelling)

Offline doll

EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 20:47:31 PM »
how about euros do they have them up north?
a lot of prices are in euros in turkey

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
EXCHANGE RATE
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 23:26:40 PM »
We don't live in the dark ages up here you know. Ofcourse we have euros!
Anne

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf