Author Topic: Calis 2017 season  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Christie

Calis 2017 season
« on: November 01, 2017, 16:27:34 PM »
Having given Calis (and Turkey) a miss in 2016 we went back in June and September this year.   We thought maybe the resort would be quieter than we have previously known, but we found it to be quite busy.   The Gunes hotel was doing very well in June and was full in September, as was the Delta.   We always managed to get a table in our favourite restaurants in June, but in September we had to wait for a table both in Georges and Bella Mama, so they were obviously doing very well.   We thought Fethiye seemed a bit quieter but we only went in during the day.  What did other people think ?

Offline marina

Re: Calis 2017 season
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 17:10:21 PM »
We got back on Sunday after 3 weeks.  We've had a fabulous time, the weather particularly helping on that score!

We were expecting it to be pretty quiet, but were surprised at how many people were about.  The last week especially (half term week) there seemed to be a lot of families appeared.  Obviously it's the end of the season and the people are thinning out but it never seemed deserted. Bella Mamma's always had people in and was quite full on a a few nights we went past.

A couple of the bar/restaurant owners we spoke to said they'd had a much better year than last year, partly due to the British coming back and also the Turks coming on holiday. A young woman in the apartment next to us was there at the same time last year and said it was much busier this year.

All good signs but we need now for the airlines to stop selling flights at stupid prices which just might encourage more people to go/come back and not 'be priced out by them!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 20:34:59 PM »
What did other people think ?

We were out in June and September and whilst we did notice it was quieter than in some years in the past it was nowhere near the "doom and gloom" scenario it might have been.

Just a feeling and without any specific evidence, it did seem that there were plenty of regulars but not many newbies.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 00:09:56 AM »
We were over in early July, a change from our usual October visit. July in Fethiye seemed relatively busy - but maybe we were comparing it with the last few Octobers.

We arrived into Fethiye around 11pm on a Saturday night and were amazed by the numbers of people sitting out on the grass at the early part of the Kordon - it was absolutely packed.

We dropped our bags off at the hotel and headed for Paspatur - it was now gone midnight and again, the bars in the lanes were heaving - we had a bite to eat at Megri Lokantasi and it was dead. Unsurprisingly at that time of course but as we left to return to the hotel the bars were still packed and lively - and that was pretty much the theme for Fethiye - specific areas heaving, adjacent ones dead. We stopped at Address Cafe one day for refresherisms and it was difficult when walking in to spot anywhere free to sit - while several others along the harbour were literally empty.

We had a lovely night at Carikli Restaurant on the korden - they were seating people along the waterfront way past their own frontage. Absolutely packed. Another night we went to the magnificent Yengec, and it was disappointing to see such a great restaurant so quiet.

The hotel (Yacht Boutique) was certainly busy - mainly UK, Turkish and Middle Eastern guests from what I could work out.

We moved to Calis for the second part of our DIY two centre holiday and found it quiet. I recall Octobers busier than this July. The hotel was very busy (Area Otel) with returning guests from UK & Europe and many Turkish families. Out and about things were extremely quiet during the day, and while busier in the evening, there were no restaurants close to full at all, on any night. I recall holidaying in May years back and having to take a casual seat at places like the Harem to have a drink while waiting for a table.

Next year will be tougher I think. When I mentioned to Turkish friends about the amazing numbers of people on the grass on the Saturday night, they all say the same thing - that these are Turkish people who aren't spending any money - they will sleep on that grass rather than book a hotel. So that leaves it to foreigners like us to keep things busy.  As I mentioned in another topic, we love to holiday in Fethiye/Calis and hope to do so every year - but if it's going to be £500+ return each for flights, we'll go to Cyprus for £170 and have an equally good time.

Every year is a bad year for tourism in Turkey for various reasons - earthquakes, adjacent wars, civil unrest, terrorism - but I do think 2018 might be the year of the ridiculous flight price and I know many Calis & Fethiye lovers who also will try elsewhere rather than pay more for a return flight to Dalaman than you can get a return flight to the USA for.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:09:19 AM »
Well on the upside for 2018 there's certainly a considerable increase in flights planned from various airports by Thomas Cook

Offline incir

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
My take on this year was that whilst it was busier than last year, what was apparent was the lack of European visitors.  Lots of Turkish holiday makers.  I agree, sky high flight prices will impact next year; unless you have family there or own a holiday home and take an extended holiday why would you pay those kind of prices when there are so many great places to go on holiday.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf