Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 79430 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Brexit
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2018, 23:42:20 PM »
I have strenuously tried to avoid commenting on this but can the people who highlight the possible negative effects of UK exports to the EU advise me on the possible effect of EU exports to the UK .

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »
Great posts, Ovacikpeedoff.  You should read them, Highlander, they’re intelligent and accurate, as are Villains. 
All I would add is how long do we think Nissan and Toyota are going to carry on in the U.K. when their supply chains are unreliable and intermittent, and huge amounts of new paperwork is going to be needed.
Ditto Vauxhall.
We have just completed a trade deal with Singapore;  it took eight years to complete.
Mrs May has refused to rule out the NHS being included in any American trade deal.  It would be beyond foolish to believe that America would do special deals with us because of our traditional alliances;  as far as I can see, the relationship has consisted of America asking us to jump, and us asking ‘how high?  Trump wants to MAGA and is being very protectionist;  any deal would, I am sure, be very much in America’s favour.
It has to be said also that in the unlikely event Mrs May does cobble an agreement together, it will have to be signed off by all the other member states, who have a right of veto, and by our Parliament, who are irrevocably divided on both sides.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2018, 15:17:15 PM »
Cannot understand any Scot supporting Brexit- (hopefully it will lead to Independence for Scotland and unity for Ireland)

Indeed both Mayhem and Boris- during their Vote No campaign in the Scottish Indy Ref- said one of the main reasons Scotland should stay in the UK was......their continued membership of the EU!!!

Consistency and Tories eh!!!!

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2018, 16:54:52 PM »
I have strenuously tried to avoid commenting on this but can the people who highlight the possible negative effects of UK exports to the EU advise me on the possible effect of EU exports to the UK .

In 2016, 43% of UK exports went to the EU. However an additional 12% of our exports went to countries with whom we have Free Trade Agreements with as part of The Customs Union.

53% of the UK's imports came from the EU.

About 8% of the EU’s goods and services exports to EU and non-EU countries went to the UK in 2016. Some EU countries such as Ireland and Holland would be disproprtionately adversely affected if trade was disrupted, but some other countries would be much less affected.

I suggest the facts speak for themselves. If trade was disrupted between the  UK and EU it would undoubtedly affect all parties - but overall us far more than them.

There's more info here:

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2018, 17:11:07 PM »

Offline villain

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2018, 20:38:30 PM »
If we end up with no deal, we’ll all be crying, KKOB

Offline villain

« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45931537

"Businesses are becoming exasperated at the lack of progress in Brexit talks and are pausing or cancelling investment in the UK.

A week that many had hoped would bring progress in the talks has now come and gone without a breakthrough.

Employers group the CBI says 80% of surveyed members feel Brexit uncertainty has already had a negative impact on investment decisions."

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2018, 10:49:23 AM »
Can anyone list for me the advantages of a no deal Brexit?
I can think of many, many disadvantages, but not one advantage.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
I know I will probably regret this but what deal is the EU offering the UK ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf