Author Topic: "Old" Calis  (Read 8944 times)

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
Re: "Old" Calis
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 08:28:40 AM »
Oh those PINK seats

Offline swindsor

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 08:40:22 AM »
I'm loving this topic! Keep the stories coming   :)

Offline Ally B

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 13:22:50 PM »
OldSerckul1Girl, The Fiesta Hotel was down a small street on the left about 100yds from the Dolphin roundabout going away from the sea.I was amused in these days at Dr. Gerald with his massage kiosk on the beach with people queuing up for their massage. While the massage was going on Gerald would whistle and warble like a bird,and every now and then he would stop and ask you  " GOOT "  (good). Outside the Han restaurant there was a large fibreglass orange and one of the staff sat inside selling fresh orange, goodness knows what the heat was like inside in the summer. Morris who had the Post office restaurant at the bridge drove about in a large pink american car trying to attract the young ladies. One of restaurants at the dolphin roundabout had a large pond type thing and you could pick which fish you wanted for tea. (never had the heart to do that)  Irish Lizzie had a garden shed along by the Letoon on the prom with plastic tables and chairs where she would sell drink.    She liked a drink herself did Lizzie and as the night wore on the air would at times turn blue. The Nil and Orient restaurants always had a lamb on the spit and the  cooking smells were great. That is making me hungry, Lunch Time.

Offline charlste

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 16:26:08 PM »
First time we came was about 1986.we stayed in the yacht hotel.no wardrobes just string across the room to hang clothes.
Hole in the floor for a toilet.
When we asked if there was a safe deposit box we were taken into the office and shown a big 4 foot by 3 foot safe.Everybody put there money and valuables in together.
Talk about trusting people.
First night we went for a meal there wasnt a menu.we got through to them that we would have chicken,chips and salad.
Out came the chicken and when we had finished out came the salad and when we had finished that out came the chips.
We went to the beach near the mutlu in calis and there was a makeshift bar.i had an efes that i took to the beach.when i went for the next one he said he was going home so when i asked him about my next beer he said to help myself and leave the money on the side.

Offline Ally B

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 19:41:22 PM »
Our first time in Turkey was in Kusadasi and the first restaurant we went to for a meal I had a kebab and Mrs B ordered chicken and chips. The salad came on a plate on its own followed 20 mins later by a whole roasted chicken on a plate and another 20 mins later came the chips.There were so many weird things happened to us in Turkey, but I wouldn't swap it for the world.

Offline pstevens

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 21:09:49 PM »
Hi ally b we were great friends with lizzy and saw her through good and bad times i remember playing guitar in her bar one night and a famous turkish star onur raken excuse any spelling mistakes turnred up and we jammed together and the place was rammed my face book picture is of me and him pkaying i think it was 1990 ,we still meet up with lizzies former partner ilhan bozkurt every year and again we play guitar and saz together ,lizzie returned home to have a baby and we have lost touch over the years ,on the beach road was a couple of hotels and a night the beach road was choca block with little stalls set up by the families ,this lasted a few years until one year we were staying at the bahar apartmnt on the front and due to pressuefrom the hotels and shops the police turned up at teatime with big lorries and took all of the families goods ,it was not a pretty sight all we could do was to protest ,only to be told oits for your own good ,this was a big turning point for calis , the black police cadilacs were put away as they were to easy for the kids on the beach to spot ,then the police took to mopeds chasing the traders allong the beach, a sight i havnt seen for along while on calis is the locals digging a hole in the sand and burying themselves in the heat of the day ,all you could see was their heads sticking out of the sand,i remember geraldo the massage man he came to us on the beach to tell us princess diana had died , also the very dangerous parasending from the beach that left holidaymakers hovering over the power lines on the front because the speed boat was not powerfull enough to pull people in when it got windy i know i was one of them ,must have been to much effes thats all for now cheers

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
I flew into Dalaman in August 1988 for my first holiday to Turkey ( I don't recall it being an Aerodrome) and stayed in Marmaris so cant give you any info on Calis sorry.
I can recall it being the hottest I have ever experienced ( of coarse I may just of got used to it now) but I remember many locals died that summer due to the heat.
There was very little choice of menus and like other have said chicken (very small portion) chips and salad, meatballs were the only other choice I think.
We ate at little wooden tables lined up on the beach itself.
in those days you would be eating in a street restraunt when the trucks would come around at night to empty the sesspit tanks the smell was as you can imagine!! that's when the waiters would squirt the lemon cologne into your hands to sniff as a distraction.
We did a boat trip to from Marmaris to Dalyan that year involving the same tours in Dalyan as it still does .
We also did a day trip to Rhodes so that was operating then too.
I didnt return to Turkey for another 10 yrs or so when I did return it was to the fethiye area and have fallen in love with it like everyone else.
That holiday was the longest I have spent in Marmaris, I returned again about 20 yrs later (stayed over night in Ichmeler) wasnt impressed with that either and last year we ended up there again by taking the wrong turning to Akyaka, stayed half an hour and that was too long!!
Good luck with the book.

Offline shelli

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 15:10:52 PM »
I don't look on here very often these days but as I'm flying out on Wednesday I thought I'd just have a nosey and came across your post!. (You're probably on your sequel by now!)  Anyway I've let Cavfan (my sister), Jukebox (brother-in-law) know about it as I'm sure they'll have some very interesting facts to tell you. 

My memory for dates is never very good but I came for the first time in my mid 20's to stay with my mum and dad who, by that time, had been staying at the Mutlu for a number of years and loved it so much I decided to join them.  I've been going back at least once a year since then, so just shy of 30 years.  At that time there was nothing beyond the Mutlu except a walk until you fell off the end!  In the other direction what is now Hamsi bar was a hut with 2 plastic tables and one umbrella.  The Eroz on the corner had a bar that you went down steps to, no street level restaurant and it was clad in wood which made it feel like a sauna if you were sat having a drink.  The "prom" was not paved, it was rubble so your choice of footwear had to be sensible or you risked a broken ankle or broken shoes!  Over the bridge was mostly wasteland except for, on the right - "The Post Office" - the only place to really call itself a "bar" in the evenings that stayed open very late and where many of the most well know Calis guys started out as very young men working behind the bar.  Mosquito city with not much in the way of "infection control" - but some of the best nights and best laughs I've had over the years with family and friends.  It was never quite the same when it went across the road to where B52 is now!

The "Sunday Market" was on the old football pitch in the village and you could walk from Calis to get to it without passing a building of note - wide open spaces.
There was the odd restaurant on the front leading to Coca Calis - The Orient - Mr Mehmet had been there years already, The Rubber tree (I think) - next door to what was George's Steak house and a couple of others but beyond the Letoon there was nothing much.  Lizzies or Busy Lizzies was further down as was a restaurant called the Albatros which you could be taken to in a horse and cart (think the horse was older than I am now!).

I hope you have found all the information you need from all your sources but if you need any additional ramblings, let me know.  (Plus let us know when your book is published!)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 11:59:07 AM »
I was searching for something else and stumbled upon this topic. Since we are all in reminiscing mood over the Dolphin Roundabout, I thought I’d bump it back up to the top.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf