Author Topic: Can you teach an old dog new tricks ? ( sorry mother lol)  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Vickymbro

• Newly Registered
Can you teach an old dog new tricks ? ( sorry mother lol)
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »
After many many years of trying to persuade my 78 year old mother in law to come to Turkey with us ... We did it ! She was worried about everything before we went , the cleanliness, the food, the people, the flies, being harassed ... terrorism ... You name it she worried about it ! And she absolutely LOVED it and is planning to return with us in September. You can teach an old dog new tricks lol

Offline cheffy

Re: Can you teach an old dog new tricks ? ( sorry mother lol)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 13:50:54 PM »
After many many years of trying to persuade my 78 year old mother in law to come to Turkey with us ... We did it ! She was worried about everything before we went , the cleanliness, the food, the people, the flies, being harassed ... terrorism ... You name it she worried about it ! And she absolutely LOVED it and is planning to return with us in September. You can teach an old dog new tricks lol
Good for her, sometimes in life you have to grab the bull by the horns and go for it and it looks like she did well done mum:0)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 23:59:28 PM »
That Vicky, is one of my most favourite posts ever on here.

My own Mum never needing any persuading to come here and indeed loves it. My 84 year old Dad however, is rooted firmly in the UK. I can barely get him to leave South Yorkshire. Such a shame  :-\

Offline Steve A

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »
My mum was much the same when we bought nine years ago,the look of horror when we told her we had bought in Turkey was priceless.Less than a year later she holidayed for the first time and ended up staying all summer which she continued to do until the death of her husband and her own health issues took their toll.However we bring her with us for two weeks every year .This year she is staying seven weeks as she will come out with my brother,then stay with friends,then join us in September.What I love about it is she is really alive in Turkey and so loves it

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
Love this post and thoroughly applaud your mum!

As someone with a stepfather, aunt and MIL who resolutely refuse to visit, it's great to read that not everyone loses their spirit of adventure as old age encroaches.

(As Menthol knows, I also adore her mother - watching her leap into the water from a 25-foot gangplank on a boat trip last month was absolutely brilliant.)

Offline Vickymbro

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 21:52:59 PM »
Aww thanks everyone  :) until this trip she was a 4x a year Benidorm visitor ! I knew if we could get her to Turkey she would like it but am blown away by how much she enjoyed it and the fact that while we were there she was picking out hotels to stay in for our next visit  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf