Author Topic: Pink Floyd Question  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Pink Floyd Question
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
Really grateful for the suggestions - and as stated taken on board fully. Decided to go for the most recommended and went for Wish You Were Here which as promised is fantastic (although I can't say on par with Dark Side of the Moon - quite). Borrowed Animals and after a few listens I am struggling a little with it  :)

One thing I wonder - if anyone is old enough to have been around at the time - the first album (with Syd Barrett) was obviously a psychedelic and progressive one for it's time - but was it any good? I've heard a couple of Syd's tracks and wondered not if it is a good album today, but whether it was considered good back when it was first released? 

Offline martinp2502

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »
I think it's down to individual taste. I was never a great fan of really early Pink Floyd, just sounded a bit limp for my taste but I know people that think Syd's era was the best.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »
Too young unfortunately to comment on how the debut album Piper at the Gates of Dawn, was first received by "Joe Public", but been a fan since '71. As I stated previously I do find the Syd era a little over psychedelic for my liking, that said I love See Emily Play (and Arnold Lane) and I consider it to be an "anthem" of the late 60's, but you can't take away the fact that the "Crazy Diamond" had a massive influence on the musical scene of the era and continues to influence musicians to this day.   :)

P.S. - Cracking version of Arnold Lane done a few years ago by Dave Gilmour and David Bowie doing the vocals.

http://youtu.be/iwyEqSZz1uM   

Offline boxerpete

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 19:02:10 PM »
May I also recomend you look at Dave Gilmours solo albums to very very good stuff

Pete

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 16:45:40 PM »
Just this moment read this thread/posts.... and as I  am a massive Pink Floyd fan ( have been since `dark side of the moon `)  I hated their earlier stuff in the late 60`s  .... later `wish you were here` really consolidated them world wide....but if I had to choose one album ( I have about 7/8 ish albums on my i pod )  without doubt `PULSE`  the live show double album ( or even better the dvd ) is   my personal choice and the track `comfortably numb` every time I hear that, even now it makes me shiver and my eyes water its so brilliant ..plus there are many more on there which is excellent stuff and covers most of their careers bigger and popular tracks ... one of my biggest regrets is I had the chance of two tickets when they toured with this concert`PULSE` back in the 90`s ..at the time I had no one to accompany me and  I didnt fancy going on my own .. in hindsight I would have been ok on my own ... so I blew my chance and forever I regretted it .. the concert and special effects ( see dvd )  was awesome ... enjoy  :-)

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 17:06:39 PM »
correction on the above, just checked on my i pod.. in  my opinion the best version of `comfortably numb` was from ``the best of pink floyd` disc 2  ) but then all their recordings of this track, ( like `wish you were here` track ) are all superb  mmmmmmmmmm

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 17:14:41 PM »
actually the album `the best of pink floyd` discs1 and 2 is arguibly as good as `pulse` all this typing about floyd has started me playing there stuff right  now  ` shine on you crazy diamond`  on   now  mmmmmmmm   `us and them ` another classic  `what do you want from me ` from `the division bell` another good album .. also  check out the track  `sorrow`  on pulse... sooooooooooooooo  many brilliant tracks  !!!!!! 

Offline quackers

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 18:07:55 PM »
Relics, just love it.

Offline quackers

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 18:10:03 PM »
Relics. Just love it.

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 18:17:43 PM »
Relics. Just love it.

Can't fault your choice there !!   ;)  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf