Author Topic: Excellent Article about the politics of Today  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Excellent Article about the politics of Today
« on: February 14, 2014, 19:49:00 PM »
Not sure it will pan out as they state in the final paragraph as that would be very scary and not good for the economy but March elections and the aftermath will tell us much of what the future might hold..........

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/140726/halil-karaveli/erdogan-loses-it

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Excellent Article about the politics of Today
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 20:05:52 PM »
Yes I read that earlier today - quite a lot of backstory and how it may relate to what is happening now. Very interesting, I learned several things I didn't know. It's a very complicated country, governments, Gulenists, the army, alliances, the press, the juduciary  - all influencing the status quo and potentially the entire future direction of Turkey.

It's strange, when Erdogan replaced the military chiefs with his own men, I thought that was pretty much game set and match to him. Who could stop him ruling with an iron fist now the military had been sorted out. At that time it seemed nobody to me - and I hadn't even heard the word Gulenist in my life.

If RTE goes, and daily it looks more and more likely, people should remember just how close he came to absolute power. It's frightening.

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 20:13:26 PM »
Very interesting even though I do not understand all of it.  The politics of other countries is something between the politicians and the people of that country.  However , it has been very obvious that the young people of Turkey want to enjoy a life free from stringent rules and regulations that are turning the clock back.  This affects ex-pats, the tourist industry, and more importantly. the young people of Turkey who want to be given the option of living and having the freedom like young people from other countries.  Ataturk said that religion and politics should NEVER mix and yet the present government is ignoring that remit.  I do not think that Turkey will ever join the EU.  At one time I thought it would have been a bad idea but it would be the only way that some people in Turkey would be free.  Freedom of speech is something that we in the UK enjoy, sadly that is not the case in other parts of the world.  As ex-pats living in Turkey or as tourists visiting for holidays, we do not see the country as it's people see it.  We enjoy the historical sites, the beaches, the beautiful countryside etc. etc. but we will never see Turkey as it's people see it.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 20:49:35 PM »
I think we should also bring into the equation how new the country is and the progress made has been astonishing in some areas - look at BEKO - recognised world class - Turkish engineers taking on massive international projects - reportedly only second to China in some areas of Asia and Africa in 2012.

But in some eyes Turkey is still an infant struggling to grow.

Let us hope this beautiful country and the majority of it's people who are still unspoilt / uncorrupted and welcoming - get through this stage without too many more tears.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »
A good analysis of the current political scene in Turkey, and the power struggles within it.  Well worth the read.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf