Author Topic: Well ? is it looking busier than last season ?  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Sleuth

Well ? is it looking busier than last season ?
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 13:00:00 PM »
I think,at least in the case of Hisaronu,its not so much `less people about` more a case of `far too many restaurants and bars` built.About 30% of them virtually empty throughout May,June,late September ,and October.Giving the appearance everywhere of being `not busy`.
Not sure what its like during late July and August as we are never there then.
Also, lately, we are hearing  stories of the growing popularity of the russian tourist coming to Turkey in large numbers, and we were told that unlike the brits,the only ones who splash their cash around on holiday, the russians stay in their hotels, and their all inclusives the whole time.Not out and about spending money.
But back to Hisaronu.. the problem is the turks who own or lease the establishments in Hisaronu got excited  a few years back, thinking more and more brits would come each year, so lets keep building and expanding the village. But now, we just might be on the brink of a reversal with holidays abroad, and less people travelling abroad for obvious reasons..and although I am a pessimist and I really hope it doesn`t happen...  Hisaronu could be heading towards the `ghost town` that  it is in the winter, during the summer months :o

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 14:05:53 PM »
When we in Hisaronu a few weeks ago I thought there were a few more people around than in June previous years and they seemed to me to be older people rather than the short skirts and lager brigade.

Mind you that was earlier in the evening I suspect they don't arrive until a bit later perhaps.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 14:31:35 PM »
It was pretty quiet over the last two weeks in Calis but I think it was busier than the same time last year when we went. A case of too many restaurants and not enough tourists willing to eat out every night. We had a couple of Barbecues, ate locally in Koca Calis about 5 times, Fethiye once and Hisaronu once so thats 9 nights that Calis Beach 'lost' our custom.

Calis can't have it all ways - build loads and loads of properties to sell to foreigners and then expect them to eat out every night.

I know it's been covered in another thread but 'running the gauntlet' on the promenade is getting a pain and too many of the restaurants provide similar food.

Offline amanda bullock

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 17:37:38 PM »
With the cost of things rising all the time(here as well as Turkey) I think a lot more of us will be having more bbq's at the apartments .I know we will be.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 19:02:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by amanda bullock

With the cost of things rising all the time(here as well as Turkey) I think a lot more of us will be having more bbq's at the apartments .I know we will be.

Sounds good- what time do you want us round?:D

Offline amanda bullock

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 20:18:59 PM »
will sort it out nearer the time then!lol

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 21:02:59 PM »
We love eating out in Turkey,  and eating in... what gets us is the price some restaurants want for a bottle of house wine ( not all )     A popular asking price now seems to be  between  25 and 30 lira  !!!  we usually haggle with them and bring them down, but lots of them wont budge, we wont pay more than 20 ish lira  , which is still a decent profit for them for house wine, If they wont accept our offer of that we  usually say  " ok  two beers please " and they lose out....  and we dont get our bottle of wine so we are all disappointed. I accept they have to make a profit on the wine ,  but when you can buy it in Azda in Hisaronu for  eleven ish ytl you do wonder. Incidentally  there are few places we know tucked away in Hisaronu where wine is at an acceptable price so why cant there be many more ?

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 10:05:30 AM »
I quite agree...meals in Turkey are very reasonable it the booze that bumps the price up.

My husband negotiated a better price for the wine in the Megri in the centre of the Paspatur he told the waiter at the price on the menu we would only drink one bottle but at a better price we would drink more-so he took off ten lira just like that!

Offline milliemars

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 06:22:04 AM »
I was in the Hisaronu last night all the Restaurants were busy,emptied out about 11pm and the bars started filling up,loads of people walking about so maybe things are picking up.

Offline chewyturk

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 13:52:59 PM »
Let's face it, it's been a terrible year and it's been getting worse every year for the past 3 years or more.
Prices are high here, it's not the cheap destination it used to be, and the flight prices are ridiculous. As the number of tourists declines, the prices go up to compensate which in turn drives people away. It's a vicious circle.
Hisaronu has been virtually dead all year. The UK school holidays has seen a recent influx of Brits arriving but 6 weeks of good trade is not going to pay the bills.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf