Author Topic: Animals  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Seboni121

• Newly Registered
Animals
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »
As I've posted earlier about our great holiday in hisaronu just last week, I must say we ( that's the royal we) where shocked at the state of the the animals i.e dogs n cats, the cats where in a worst state so much so every evening when we strolled to hissi we popped into AZDA  and purchased cat food to feed the cats, we put the food out near the MORISONS shop on the rough ground area there, we talked to the Turks there and they said most will starve to death in the winter :( so we did our bit whilst there, wish we could have brought them all home, the dogs fair a little better tho

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Re: Animals
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:43:20 AM »
The problem we have is everyone wants to feed the cats through the summer and the cats just breed, if people were to get their street cats neutered before they start feeding them this problem would be minimal   :)

Offline Seboni121

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 14:34:39 PM »
Sorry so I shouldn't have feed them ? I agree they should be neutered but this ain't going to happen, as mehmet said they cats will feast on the very big mice once every one has gone home

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 21:03:21 PM »
It would be a fantastic thing if holidaymakers took one or two animals to be neutered each time they came. Thats a gift that lasts....

PS I have friends who do this each time they arrive, so they can look out for the patients -post op.

Offline cheers

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 21:54:00 PM »
True Rindy!  If everbody took a stray in the Spring to be neutered the problem would be eradicated!  Most people don't realise the service is free. 

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:37:23 AM »
I love cats... but here on our complex when  renters feed them ( and it is `them ) its a fun thing for the renters but when the renters  leave, the cats return and are a big nuisance... they are wild and infested  and totally unlike your average domestic cat back in the uk... the turkish cats here remember quickly who feeds them and where.. so they get onto balconies and terraces  .. sleep on furniture... do their toilet bits... they have dirty habits and its everywhere  :-(   resentment quickly creeps in.   So  it is unfair of renters to  feed them then leave. Please dont feed or encourage them.  This is Turkey, and in the winter the turks cull them, or whatever  else they do .. I  really dont like this attitude towards the cats... but its their country and we are only guests here even if we are apartment owners

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »
Oddly enough I have noticed that the Turkish don't have Cats as pets only Dogs.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 09:36:05 AM »
I agree with Sleuth; we have the same problem at the restaurant as I have commented elsewhere before and all the good work to keep them away is undone in moments when people (often surreptitiously) feed them.

The cats are feral, have no jabs, can carry fleas, infection and disease and more than capable of hunting and fending for themselves. What would you rather have well fed street cats or mice and rats running riot!

And then we are also left with the problem of clearing up and pardon my language when they come back at night and pee and **** in the garden!

I am afraid good intentions or not its doing the cats a disservice by feeding them as they need to learn how to fend for themselves because come winter they are on their own.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 17:25:13 PM »
Shameless the Turks do have cats as pets.  I know Cenk has two cats and we were in a shop that had a really big well feed black and white cat complete with collar.  The owner told us the name of the cat and said how much they loved it...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 17:39:42 PM »
Shameless -  ;D ;D ;D ;D

She can be a tad loud I grant you Jacqui and does enjoy a good night out, but she does have some scruples   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf