Author Topic: Hello there  (Read 1204 times)

Offline apshelbourne

Hello there
« on: February 24, 2005, 14:40:24 PM »
Hi! My name's Tony & I've just discovered this excellent forum. I've been wallowing in Colwyn's Turkish Tales - they're so evocative of the wonderful but often strange experience that is Turkey. I feel rather a fraud, however, as I've visited Calis only once. But I have been to Turkey about a dozen times since 1987, and visited just about every resort from Kiz Kalezi in the east to Altinkum in the north, plus Cappadocia and Istanbul. Before 1999, my wife and I used to like to take a charter flight to Dalaman, hop on buses and dolmuses, and stay wherever the fancy took us. A wonderful way to travel, especially in Turkey, and it always seemed to make the holiday last longer than staying in one place on a package trip. And there's something just so romantic about arriving at a bus station with all the people milling about, the simit salesmen, the smell of gozleme cooking, the huge notice boards advertising destinations from Erzurum to Ankara.

Then our beautiful daughter was born in 1999, and we've had to do a bit more planning. It's OK to be stuck in the Mersin Otogar at 1 am if there's just 2 fit adults, but it's a different matter with a toddler, as all parents know. Our current favourite resort is Akyaka, which is so quiet and laidback.

Said daughter's at school now, and we're a bit stuck, in that the temperatures in the summer holiday are way too high for the wife and me. Reckon the daughter would probably manage :-)

But we haven't given up hope of visiting Turkey again. Our local authority is rejigging its term times & we may be able to go around the Whitsun half term next year.

Any road up (as they say where I grew up), I look forward to reading lots more interesting stuff on this forum and, I hope, contributing a bit from time to time.

-  Tony  -

Offline Nige and Lynn

Hello there
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 16:51:18 PM »
Hello Tony,
We joined the forum a few weeks ago. Like you, we love travelling round Turkey. We started with a few package holidays but, being at the other end of the child-rearing experience to you, when our sons went off to Uni, we opted for backpacks and buses and enjoyed several holidays where we spent a few days here or there eg Antalya - Egirdir - Cappadocia - Olimpos, or Kalkan - Kekova - Adrasan etc. Agree with you, a fortnight can feel as if you've been away for months! We were always very fortunate, if we got lost or stranded anywhere, there was always some Turkish person who would come to our rescue, they appear from nowehere like guardian angels to help us on our way. :) Then we discovered Akyaka last year, fell in love with it and have recently bought a house there.

We also enjoy Colwyn's turkish tales - bet you've got a few tales to tell too with all your travels.  ;) Look forward to reading about them!

Offline kanga

Hello there
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 18:23:10 PM »
Hi Tony and a big welcome to the forum.  Wish we could have flexible term tmes so we could take the kids out of school when it suits us and not the education authority.  Luckily we all love the heat and always spend our 6 week hols at our villa in Calis.  I too have been reading Colwyns tales this afternoon they are fab especially with all the snow we rae having in the UK roll on 18th July.

Offline Orange

Hello there
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 10:21:17 AM »
Hi Tony and welcome.  Certainly sounds like you have experienced a lot of Turkey.  Hope you manage your whitsun visit.  Look forward to seeing your contributions

Offline mary anne

Hello there
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 17:43:38 PM »
welcome to the forum - I'm sure you will be entertained no end with the endless stories that can be had from the members , it can be an addictive pastime. Would be interested to hear more of your adventures pre-child days and I'm sure it won't be long before you get itchy feet again!Take care Mary Anne

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf