Author Topic: 2nd class post.  (Read 958 times)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
2nd class post.
« on: January 08, 2013, 13:07:24 PM »
I posted a Christmas card by 2nd class post on 17th December. It eventually arrived at its destination aproximately 12 miles from where I live yesterday 7th January. No wonder Royal Mail is suffering hard times if 2nd class post takes 14 working days to get there.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: 2nd class post.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 16:08:23 PM »
We were surprised to find a Turkish holiday postcard from us to our daughter (who lives with us) delivered a week before we actually went away to Turkey. "Ah!", you will say, "Posted the year before!". Wrong. Posted two years before!

Offline Lotty

2nd class post.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 21:36:53 PM »
I stupidly sent a pair of Jimmy Choos . . . Guess what? They never arrived!! . . .true

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 21:49:21 PM »
Ah, but could you get a card delivered to an address 12 miles away from you another way, for 50p?

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »
It is a bad situation, on the one hand we have the service deteriorating every day, and on the other the prices rising all the time. We used to have a fantastic postall service really, cheap and efficinet and the Postman was regarded as something as a local figure. There were cases of the odd failure but show me any system that doesn't! Then along came "private enterprise" whingeing and whining to be allowed to play, and a Government that allowed more and more services that were the preserve of the Post Office to help fund the investmnent needed to keep it the envy of the World. Gradually it has all changed, no long term career so the staff dont care any more, (my Postie delivers to the wrong address, screws large packages up to get them through the letter box, walks accross the gardens etc. -- never had that in previous years). The revenues have dropped, the prices have had to rise, the slippery slope effect. Now Government policies have wrecked the PO they lay the blame with the people.

I am a great believer in private enterprise and that Governments should not run Compnaies, but they should run national resources and services, of which the Post Office was one, along with Utilities and Railways, and privatsation was only politically motivated anyway!

This is no accident, it is the result of long term Policy --- and when the revolution comes all will change!

Lenin

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
For anyone sending items by 1st and 2nd Class post as Lotty did.  Remember they only insure up to £46.00. and please keep your receipt for the goods enclosed.   If you have an item under £46.00 best to send it by 1st or 2nd Class "Signed For" which means a signature has to be obtained.  However, with a letter sent this way they will not guarantee it's arrival. My D.I.L. send a letter to an insurance company 1st Class signed for. It did not arrive and she was told by the P.O. they will not guarantee delivery.   
Also there is a list as long as your arm they will not insure such as glass, ceramics, antiques, jewellery, coins, stamps etc.,
Any item of value should be sent by Special Delivery Insured and Guaranteed Next Day Delivery.  This method of postage will insure up to £2,500 and will insure glass, ceramics, jewellery etc.,  If  the item does not arrive the next day, the sender can claim their money back (apart from sending on Friday and Saturday where next day is not/cannot be guaranteed).
The catch with S.D. is, 2 kilos and under is not too expensive.  From £5.90 up to £9.75.
However go over 2 Kilos even by 1 gram and your price starts at £24.50.
For a private courier service, it's  impossible to find one that will carry anything breakable with taking out a separate insurance with a third party. .  I sent a cast iron stick stand down to London.  I took out a policy to cover the item as it was Antque.  It actually arrived in three pieces and I did get my money back. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf