Author Topic: The hijab  (Read 9451 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: The hijab
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 20:26:46 PM »
Why do religions (always started by men) have to subjugate woman?  It seems to me every religion known has some punishment for it's woman members    :(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 20:30:52 PM »
Why do religions that contain widespread sexual abusers of boys and young men stand so staunchly against Homosexuality?

Or is that another subject :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 20:34:55 PM »
That religion also treats woman as second class citizens, but agree about the abuse.
Strangest think I know of, from my Jewish friend in Florida is the Jewish belief that woman shave their heads when they marry and wear wigs....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 20:35:53 PM »
In Florida or generally?

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 20:36:23 PM »
So, are we to believe that it will not be acceptable to attempt inject a sense of humour into our new Debating Chamber ? I sincerely hope not, as it brings an entirely new dimension to The Forum. It is a very sad person who cannot laugh at their-self, in my opinion. As regards the "Hajib", "Burka", or whatever it is called by various religious groups, I feel it is an insult to my intelligence to be asked to believe that women who are forced, either by religion, or husbands/family members, to "hide" behind this , are more than happy to do so !

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 20:45:56 PM »
Humour is the one thing that sets CBF apart from most other forums I believe. It should have access to all sections :D

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 20:49:23 PM »
Jacqui , I have just googled "Jewish women shaving their heads", (personally,Judaism is my least favourite religion), but I was shocked  :o at what I read !!  :angel:

Offline Menthol

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 20:54:38 PM »
So, are we to believe that it will not be acceptable to attempt inject a sense of humour into our new Debating Chamber ? I sincerely hope not, as it brings an entirely new dimension to The Forum. It is a very sad person who cannot laugh at their-self, in my opinion. As regards the "Hajib", "Burka", or whatever it is called by various religious groups, I feel it is an insult to my intelligence to be asked to believe that women who are forced, either by religion, or husbands/family members, to "hide" behind this , are more than happy to do so !

My comedian comment was me being very typically sarcastic, Gordon.

As someone who looks for (and tends to find) the humour in most subjects, I fully expect the Chamber to be at once serious, humorous and as frustrating as trying to get my Dad not to believe everything he reads in The Mail and Express ....... that was also not a dig.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 21:01:29 PM »
Yes,  I first noticed it at  sale in a shop in N.Y.  it was in a Jewish owned shop and I noticed the women where wearing wigs
I emailed my friend in Florida who explained it to me.  I was also shocked.  However, there was a programme on T.V. recently about Jewish people in England and the lady of the house said she had refused to shave her head.
This in an awful thing to as women to do.. and why shouldn't Jewish men shave their heads as well?? Religion  punishing women again.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 21:02:53 PM »
Agreed Loz. 
During an extremely cold spell very early one morning during the winter Joanna was stopped by traffic cops due to the fact her face was partly covered by her scarf and her hat (in their view) was too far down her forehead. 
Being my daughter, she quickly pointed out that there are plenty of woman wearing the hijab so why don't you stop them?  Whilst one officer had a little snigger the other didn't find it a suitable comment and wanted to book her.  Thankfully common sense took over and she was allowed to carry on her journey.
Seems we have rules for them and rules for us!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf