Author Topic: Those Two Girls in Peru are Innocent of Drug Smuggling  (Read 11406 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Those Two Girls in Peru are Innocent of Drug Smuggling
« on: August 21, 2013, 16:16:05 PM »
Discuss   ???

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
Re: Those Two Girls in Peru are Innocent of Drug Smuggling
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 16:44:52 PM »
I would love to believe that they had no knowledge of what was going on as I assume that by being in Ibiza and working the bars they were somewhat streetwise and in the real world who gets offered a holiday in South America for nothing with no strings?

Although they have mentioned that they were scared for their families I find it hard that they did not risk approaching anyone in Peru at any of the location they went or on entering the country in passport control, customs etc to avoid the potential for what did happen in the end.

I cannot judge them as individuals as I do not know them but one thing struck me on seeing the first video and the pictures on the news was that having been arrested and in detention for 2 weeks that McCollum Connolly had her hair up like she was going out to party. Now this could be a middle aged strange view on things but it did strike me as a bit "showie" considering the circumstances.

According to reports there are a reasonable number of British people in detention for similar offences all pleading their innocents, difficult to see that they are all innocent and that goes for all of the other Foreigners.

Cannot see any mitigating reasons why they will be not found guilty, but I wish them luck. 

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 16:45:12 PM »
Guilty of mixing with the wrong people and trying to make a few quid, I may be wrong but they have been very naive in my opinion!

Offline madmart

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 16:46:48 PM »
From my understanding they were employed handing out flyers in San Antonio, an area not exactly known for partaking of afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches. Also I would imagine handing out flyers does not pay too well.

Flights to Peru are not exactly on the cheap side either, having just checked they are the thick end of £1100. If someone offered to pay for their flights they obviously expected something in return, it was never going to a gift.

The old adage if it sounds too good to be true it probably is springs to mind.

They probably are not guilty of intentionally drug smuggling but are guilty of naivety. Which of course is not a crime.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 18:14:24 PM »

They probably are not guilty of intentionally drug smuggling but are guilty of naivety. Which of course is not a crime.

Isn't it?

I have no idea whether they were terrorised into being drug mules or not but their body language in the video when they were being questioned showed little little in the way of remorse or fear.

I'm a reasonably tough cookie, but I'd have been a blethering mess in their place.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 18:16:14 PM »
Guilty as charged m'lud. The body language gives them away I am afraid. :(

Offline Fran

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 18:24:44 PM »
Guilty, hope they get a substantial custodial sentence. Only thinking of the money and not the misery that the drugs would have caused.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 18:44:23 PM »
Am I right they said they were taken to Peru against their will? And their route took them via Madrid (more than once?). Wouldn't you attach yourself to the first Spanish policeman you see at the airport holding a huge machine gun?

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 18:45:53 PM »
I watched the footage taken shortly after they were arrested and my first thought was that they looked totally unconcerned. One was nonchalantly chomping through a burger, and neither of them looked upset or remorseful.
If that had been me I would have been in pieces
They look to me like a couple of streetwise girls who thought they could earn some big bucks doing something that seemed easy enough. They deserve everything they get, in my opinion.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 19:29:36 PM »
I certainly don't think they are naive girls.  They knew what they were undertaking, knew the risks involved and fortunately were caught.
Their lack of tears or remorse had me thinking that perhaps they were both rather shell shocked to be in such a position but watching their behaviour over the past two weeks I'm of the opinion that they're a pair of tough wee cookies who were out to make a fast buck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf