Author Topic: How much longer  (Read 5156 times)

Offline johntaylor49

Re: How much longer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »
If they really are still in Portugal after 9 weeks, surely that should mean that some new development has come to light , which is keeping them there? If so, more power to them, I would say.

On an aside from this, I would venture to say that the recent unashamed revelation by the "top cop" of Greater Manchester police , that only 40% of crimes reported by the public are ever acted upon in his bailiwick, is more in need of investigation than police officers in Portugal !!

Reminds me of the story about the elderly lady who called to report she had seen torchlight in her Garage at then bottom of the garden and thought there was a burglar, she was politely told that the Police were sorry but they had nobody available and would attend to it as soon as possible meantime stay locked indoors. After an hour she called again to say someone was still there to be told again that nobody was available. Thirty min utes later sje called the police to say she couldn't wait any longer but they didn't need to bother as she had indeed found a burglar but she had shot him. within 15 minutes armed police were on the scene with a helicopter hovering overhead. Sure enough a man ran out of the garage and was apprehended. The furious officers said to the lady "I thought you said you had shot him!?" to which she replied "I thought you said you had nobody available?"  :)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
brilliant..

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 20:36:17 PM »
I personally feel that Maddy is dead, whoever is responsible will never be found, and my heart goes out to her devastated parents, I feel the time has come to move on, because they have two other children who need their love and attention. Sending police officers out to Portugal after all this time is a waste of time and money.  p.s. I would love to be proved wrong

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »
Well, any Policeman will tell you most children abducted are killed within 48 hours, so, yes, the chance of her being found alive are every remote, and sadly, it is common for Parents to be convinced they would know if their child was dead, but it is rarely the case.

Concentrate on their family yes but never forget her of course.

I guess they are carrying out this investigation in the hope of catching the people who took her and preventing others from being taken, but there comes a time to judge the cost against the likelihood of Success, and have we reached that point?

Offline Menthol

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 13:41:42 PM »
And how much do we consider a small child to be worth?

My children are all strapping 20+ year olds. They are, however, priceless.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 18:47:18 PM »
Every child is precious, every human life is precious, but, if we have arrived at a point where the likelihood of finding the people who abducted this poor child or of preventing those same people doing it again is very slight or not even felt to be possible, perhaps we could take that resource and better employ it to apprehend other felons or prevent other crimes?

Policing is like Military Intelligence, the costs are massive for small results, just the way it is.

JT

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 23:22:39 PM »
if we have arrived at a point where the likelihood of finding the people who abducted this poor child or of preventing those same people doing it again is very slight or not even felt to be possible, perhaps we could take that resource and better employ it to apprehend other felons or prevent other crimes?

I wonder if you would say that if the missing child was your own.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
Possibly not, losing a child is a terrible experience, and every year I feel very sad when my wife lights the Annual candle on young John's Birthday, he would have been 37 this year. You never forget, but you move on because you must.

Offline loiner

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 21:18:46 PM »
Priceless scunner. Every child is priceless unreplaceable

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 20:05:27 PM »
Nearly four years in, is it not time to scale back from 1 Detective Chief Inspector, 28 Detectives and 7 other staff working on this case.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf