Author Topic: Remembering "Great War" Dead  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Remembering "Great War" Dead
« on: November 09, 2014, 19:02:02 PM »
I have just heard a presenter on the BBC Countryside programme talking about WWI dead. What this is doing on a programme about farming, the countryside and wildlife I don't know. The chap was in a graveyard and told me that this was the grave one of fallen of the war who gave his life for my freedom. One of my grandfathers died in that war (dysentery in Cairo) I am remembering him and his fellows this week. I have been wearing my poppy. But I do think this "They died for our freedom" line is complete nonsense. My grandfather didn't die for my freedom; I couldn't tell you why he went to war; I doubt that he could. After struggling to understand the history of the First World War I can still find no sense in it except the shifting of power and boundaries between the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, and the Russia Empire as the old political forces and the rising power of a new force - Germany - on the other, and the dragging in of the British Empire into all of this. I can't see anything in this that suggests to me that this was a war to grant or maintain my freedom. This rewriting of history to transform all of the wars that Britain entered, even WWI, into heroic, valiant and inescapable defences of liberty is utterly bogus and deeply dangerous. Revisionists like Gove might like to say differently, but WWI, whatever else it was, was not a struggle for our freedom.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 19:29:42 PM by Colwyn »

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Remembering "Great War" Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 20:00:17 PM »
Today is a day for remembering the bravery and selfless actions of those that gave their lives for their countries.
I don't give a toss whether it's remembered on Countryside or Homes under the hammer as long as it's done with
respect, but it should NEVER be forgotten.
My local cemetery has several areas dedicated to troops killed in the Wars and the nearest one to my family grave
contains 32 soldiers killed in WW1. Nearly all of them are Canadian and most were 17 & 18 years old when killed.
They sailed half way round the world and sacrificed their futures and their lives for something they thought worth
doing. Their families lost their sons and their remains.
Colwyn.
I find your choice of today and this subject to give us a history lesson deeply offensive.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 22:57:26 PM »
Through my son moving to Jersey I have met some locals who can tell of the occupation of Jersey and what the people of the island suffered during that time.

I believe they fought to keep us free from the same fate.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 23:13:50 PM »
kevin3 - he will of course speak for himself (and far more eloquently than I could) for himself. but I did read his post as respectfully remembering the fallen whilst highlighting the sheer futility of it all

heather07  - again C will respond but I believe that he was making a point specifically about WWI.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 00:07:12 AM »
heather07.
Many years ago two of my friends went out to Jersey to work on exhuming the remains
of people tortured and slaughtered by the Nazi's.They stayed for about 18 months but
the work went on for years, such was the slaughter.If my (dodgy) memory serves me
correctly many were Russian and their remains were repatriated.They came back with
lot's of horror stories, many from the local's. 

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 00:34:32 AM »
John
Thanks for your intervention but I stand by my words, and I could have said so much more
but not eloquently, I am still fuming. 

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 09:57:02 AM »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
Kevin, you say the fallen should NEVER be forgotten, I haven't forgotten them - as I said.
One of my grandfathers died in that war (dysentery in Cairo) I am remembering him and his fellows this week. I have been wearing my poppy.

That applies to WWI only - as the title of the thread clearly indicates. I have a very different view of WWII. And as to Jersey, I have previously posted a photograph on CBF of my father leading his troop along the main street of St Helier during the Liberation Parade in 1945. According to my mother he was the first British officer ashore during the liberation of Jersey. He died an early death after the war from an illness he had picked up during the conflict.

It seems to me that Remembrance Sunday and November 11th are just the right time to remember who they were, their lives,  their deaths and the nature of the wars in which they served; not some myths created about the past. If my doing this has caused you offence or distress then I apologize for this upset but I was outraged by the misappropriation of the First World War to present it as one of Britain's wars for our freedoms.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 18:55:30 PM »
My comment was not a criticism.  It was suggestion as to the why men went to war.  Maybe we have all been brainwashed into believing it was for our freedom.
We are told about the comradeship and the men wanting to fight for their country.  It is easier to believe they were fighting for a cause than to accept they died for no reason.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 19:48:32 PM »
Colwyn
Thank you for your words. I am probably as sce'ptical as you  as to the causes,justifications and reporting of
wars and conflicts, and the actions of politicians and military leaders, and the futility of it all.
It just seems to me that to go in to all that on the one day dedicated to them and their bravery devalues
their sacrifices. "they died for nothing". I think the rest of the year is for that.
No hard feelings, take care.
Kevin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf