Author Topic: Redundancy Payments  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member

Offline sadler

Re: Redundancy Payments
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 19:23:28 PM »
Thanks for that Highlander. The document you quoted from is a Trade Union document and your quotation is aimed at those who have not opted out of LG PS. Many school employees, or low paid employees of LG opt out. Most members of Unison in LG are very low paid I.e. MDAs (dinner ladies), cleaners, clerical assists. Etc. The higher money earning employees, in Education or Social Services, or higher level admin are not members of Unison and the "professionals" do not Subscribe to LGPS, they have their own pension schemes. Just because Unison say that the employer can agree to these extras,I have yet to see it happen and most of the categories I have mentioned on low pay, do not earn that much in a year,let alone have it as an extra annual bunce.

I remember that another Trade Union was aggressively canvassing LG employees to leave Unison (if they already belonged or trying to sign them up). The name of the union escapes me at the minute but they were quite a lot more militant than Unison.

I was interested to see that the law now requires payments to be made up to 20 years service. I am sure when I was involved it was up to a maximum of 12 years, at least something seems to have improved.   :)

P.S. Working through that whole consultation and selection process added together with the notice period took a minimum of 9 months and it was, without exception, the very worst aspect of my job! :(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 21:07:20 PM »
Bottom line is that the guys who've worked for Highland Council for years are getting a decent pay off (on the basis of VR), and the "locals" ain't happy.

JF

Offline sadler

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 21:15:20 PM »
Just to add to that, and I hope I am not becoming too boring, it all depends on what is in the redundancy policies and the conditions of em. Employers CAN pay extra, they don't have too, and in my experience, they don't, or they would set a very expensive president. They stick to the statutory policy.   :)

Offline alixandria

• Newly Registered
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 21:48:31 PM »
Boring? Now why would you think that.  :)

Offline sadler

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 21:57:00 PM »
I quite like you Alixandria.   :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »
Why is that some people get irate about (usually a group of) workers receiving a fair and reasonable compensation for losing their jobs, and kick and scream about it.  Yet when PLC executives, bankers/speculators, some head teachers, local government leaders receive large bonuses or gold plated salary rises, we hear little or nothing from them?  Oh yes I forgot their 'rewards package' is based on market forces!!

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 13:57:32 PM »
I think anything over 30k taxed at your highest rate, unless rules have changed. In this animal farm that we live in all are equal, although some more so than others.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 16:53:08 PM »
When I was made redundant from the MOD, the rate was 1/80th of a week's wage for each year of service!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf