Author Topic: Brexit means Brexit?  (Read 38410 times)

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
Brexit means Brexit?
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »
Given what you now know compared to what you knew on June 23rd, would you have changed your vote?

I voted Remain and would still do so.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Brexit means Brexit?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 17:32:46 PM »

I voted leave then and would vote leave now. Can't wait to " consciously uncouple " from the Brussels Dictacrats "   ;D

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 23:04:50 PM »
My vote is also unchanged.
Voted to leave and I still think that is the way forward for us.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:47:46 AM »
Must say I'm surprised. Just about all the fallout from the referendum has been negative. None of the Leave campaigns promises have come to fruition, the pound has taken a battering, inflation is on its way, the government appear to be in disarray, if we leave the single market there'll be no trade deals in place and even the leavers can't agree what "Brexit" looks like.

Personally, I'm very scared.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
Goodness knows how we managed before we joined the E.U.   I am not worried at all.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 12:01:07 PM »
Personally, I'm very scared.
I don't think it is quite as bad as that, Villain. Certainly the decision will do serious long-term damage to the UK economy and has already trashed the £. However, I would stop short of saying it is a disaster. We maybe able to stage some sort of recovery well into the future (just not in my lifetime). Perhaps I'm just a wide-eyed optimist!

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
Must say I'm surprised.

You shouldn't be. 

Bear in mind that the member demographics of CBF are weighted towards England and Wales, with a lesser number of members from Scotland and in the vote, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted heavily in favour of remain and England and Wales the opposite.

Young people also voted in favour of remaining, 75% of 18-24yr olds and in the slightly older bracket, 56% of 25-49yr olds also voted to remain.  Those who are 50-64yrs old voted to leave with only 44% voting to remain and the over 65's voted even more heavily to leave, only 39% of those wishing to remain.

I'm not going to say that the majority of CBF members are old farts, but I'd hazard a guess that most fall in to the latter two age brackets.

Ironically, it would appear that the Remain campaigns forecast regarding the economy if we voted to leave, as in plummeting sterling, inflation on the up and a very shaky economy for the foreseeable future have been a lot more accurate than the Leave campaigns promises of extra funding for the NHS, reduction of immigration etc etc.

JF

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 13:41:35 PM »
Surely the extra funding for the NHS, and the rest of the benefits, can't happen until we actually LEAVE.
That's some time away isn't it?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 13:43:01 PM »
I think most Leave campaigners have conceded that the £350Bn to the NHS was nonsense.

JF

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 13:53:37 PM »
wasn't specific on an amount, I was just saying that the not paying 350bn to Brussels we'd have it to go somewhere, but that won't happen until we actually leave.
People expected it instantly

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf