Author Topic: Cats to Turkey  (Read 3278 times)

Offline suehugh

Cats to Turkey
« on: August 15, 2015, 15:20:04 PM »
Looking at the defra rules for taking a cat to Turkey, it appears to be at least a min of 3, possibly 4 months after the rabies injection, before you can import same into Turkey.
I have read on some forums, that if you take them earlier than this, Turkey will let same in. But a home quarantine order would be imposed to cover the balance of the minimum period.
Has anyone heard of this
Hugh

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Cats to Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 15:34:05 PM »
Nope.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:05:35 AM »
Nope

Offline Eric

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 11:15:37 AM »
Comply with the rules, don't listen to rumours, don't try to take short cuts and you will be okay.  Follow the advice of rumours or try to short cut procedures and you will have problems.

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
Nope from me as well - DEFRA rules are easy to comply with.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 20:49:39 PM »
We brought our two out last year - definitely didn't have to wait three months after the vaccination to bring them out. From memory, I think we had to wait 30 days for a test to ensure they had the necessary antibody levels in their blood, and then we were good to go.

There also seems to be a belief that you can only travel with one animal per person - a load of rubbish, I specifially checked when organising our move and was told that was untrue; I subsequently travelled with both our boys alone with no problems.

Offline suehugh

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 17:38:05 PM »
Hi wordbird
Defray rules definitely state that it's three months from the blood test, which is taken 30 days after the
Vaccination. We confirmed by telephone with them Friday, and subsequently with the vet this morning.
The cats were needled and chipped this morning.
However, Defra did say that not everybody follows the rules. Surprise.
I had read somewhere on an old thread, that Turkey operated a home quarantine scheme, which was the compromise if a chipped and vaccinated pet arrived after a successful test , but still within the four months.
The consulate site just re confirms Defra rules.
We are working to the worst scenario at the moment, whereby we would have to put them in a cattery until Dec 17. (Starting from October 4 if the house sale goes through as expected)
2 animals per person is correct.

Offline hamilton

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 12:49:50 PM »
We brought our cat back to the UK almost 2 years ago, we bought a new transport cage approx 70-50-45 cm,  classed as medium size. I have checked the price in the UK about £78, we have no use for the cage anymore, if you require a cage, its yours for £30 plus postage. If interested let me know.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf