Author Topic: Hello everyone And I Hope You Can Help Me  (Read 3306 times)

Offline titch

Hello everyone And I Hope You Can Help Me
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Hello,

I have recently purchased an apartment in Mugla.  I am now thinking of applying for residency as my TV and phone are temporarily in someone elses name and I think this could be problematic long term. This is the only reason I need residency - well, so I believe.

I visit Turkey for two weeks every two months.  I understand that the tourist visa situation changes soon.

Firstly, can anyone help me with this.  I need to return to the UK after two weeks but I understand that to obtain residency the police take your passport and I would then be unable to leave when I needed to.  Could they use a photocopy, or a certified photocopy? Then I would be able to retain my passport and get back home.

Secondly, what are the down sides to getting residency.  Can the Turkish government or local council start charging me for things that I don't have to pay for now as a non resident even though I own a property.

I also would very much appreciate knowing wxactly what I must give to the police when I apply for residency.

Thank you in advance.
TITCH

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 13:10:46 PM »
Titch, firstly welcome to CBFland. Visiting for 2 weeks every 2 months should enable you to carry on without applying for residency. However, if you did want to apply, I recently had my passport returned within 9 working days. There is a lot of good information in the visas section of this forum

Offline titch

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 13:47:21 PM »
Thank you.  Problem is once the passport is handed over one never knows how long it will be before one sees it again!

I do have another current passport that I could use to get in and out of Turkey should I hand over the British one for residency and not get it back within two weeks.

Does anyone know if the entry stamp is required in the passport that is handed over? ie my British one whilst I used the other to get in and out should I not get residency in time.  

I am going to Turkey soon and cannot work out how to get around this problem.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 15:04:25 PM »
You do need to be careful with two passports - remember that if you hand in the passport that has your entry visa in, and leave using the other passport, you will appear to have entered illegally (unless your 2nd passport is a Turkish one I guess). Best to enter and exit with the same passport, whichever one it is.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 15:46:25 PM »
A residency permit can be done within one day if necessary.
Just be veeeery nice to the policemen  ;)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 16:33:09 PM »
I was talking to Tayfun from Carole & Tayfun last week, he quoted 7-10 days as the current waiting time after application. The passport police will release your passport if you need it to travel & then you can collect your residency the next trip if it's not ready in time.

Offline titch

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 17:14:08 PM »
Thank you so much for this.  It is fantastic news.  I have been losing sleep over this dilemma.

Can anyone tell me what the negatives are of residency.  I really don't need it as I only spend two weeks every two months in my apartment.  However my satellite TV and phone really need to be in my name as I understand that I could be responsible for another persons debt is that person is paying my bills from my address.

This is my reason and only reason for wanting residency.

I am a little worried that I may jump in here withour really understanding the implications of residency as opposed to remaining a tourist with a visa.

Will my bills go up?  Will I be responsible for unknown things that as a tourist I am not responsible for?

There is some pressure on my from the owner of the block of flats that my flat is in.  Does he have an ulterior motive here.  By becomeing a resident will I be taking a share of what he is paying now because I am a tourist at present (even though I own the apartment)?

I smell a rat.  Maybe it is me with my glass half full!

Anyone out there who can help here?

Thank you
TITCH

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 17:32:45 PM »
The main negative of residency was the cost, but that is now part of history as it is much cheaper now than it used to be. I can't think of a single reason why the owner of the block flats yours is in would benefit from you having residency - so maybe he is just trying to be friendly or helpful. There are no costs you become liable for through being a resident rather than a 'tourist'.

Offline titch

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 18:04:23 PM »
Thank you. The owner of the block is probably trying to be helpful! Forgive me.

I have had my share of being charged way over the top for this and that in my first 6 months ownership of my apartment and am a little wary now. Double what a Turk would pay and so I am very guarded.

I will take your advice, go in on my British passport , apply for residency, smile very nicely at the policeman and if my passport is not back when I need to leave after 10 days or so I will go and get it back and leave as planned after 2 weeks collect it in March when I next go out and I will let you all know how I get on.

Fingers crossed for me.

What a wonderful forum! Thank you all so very much for your help.

TITCH

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 22:20:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by titch

I will take your advice, go in on my British passport , apply for residency, smile very nicely at the policeman and if my passport is not back when I need to leave after 10 days or so I will go and get it back and leave as planned after 2 weeks collect it in March when I next go out and I will let you all know how I get on.

Not quite as easy as that I'm afraid. There are some posts on this forum in another section explaining what you need to do if you are going to attempt a diy application however in your situation (time wise) I would recommend using 1 of the many professional people who do it for you, some charge as low as 50tl.

To start with you will need a Turkish tax number & a bank account with some funds in to show your "worth", the exact amount depends on how long you want residency for, 5 years is good & as you own (I presume with Tapu in your name) this is easily possible.

Good luck & welcome to the forum btw!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf