Author Topic: Exchange Rates  (Read 4966 times)

Offline tonyb

Exchange Rates
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
It was suggested to me by a travel rep (& I use the term loosely)in June that the best exchange rate available is at the post office in Fethiye. Is this correct or are the better alternatives in Clais itself. I did try to change some money there once but the calculation/counting machine was up the swanny & ended up changing @ an exchange office anyway.]

Offline Firo

Exchange Rates
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:11:32 PM »
I just changed some money in the PTT in Uzumlu and was charged a commission ! The rate was not very good either so I would stick to the exchange shops or a local bank here in Turkey just shop around as I have never before been charged commission.
Fi

Offline dycedon

Exchange Rates
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 15:05:29 PM »
exchange shop and bank, also rate in Cals is approx 4 kouros less than Fethiye but by the time you pay dolmus etc, not a lot of difference, i normally use the silver shop across from Josephs bar when changing money in calis.

Offline Stressed Eric

Exchange Rates
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:21:53 AM »
What is happening to the exchange rate? Just when you think it can't possibly drop any further, it goes down again with the bank rates now being less than 2.0ytl/GBP. Surely this is going to start having a detrimental effect on Turkish export industries and the Tourism industry. Since living here for the past 4 years, i've never seen it drop like this. I hope it recovers soon for all concerned.

Offline Eric

Exchange Rates
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »
It is all to do with the recent court case to try to close down the current government, which the Government won.  A lot of international companies were holding back on investing in Turkey until the outcome of the case.  Now billions of foreign currency is being invested in Turkey in many different ways, which is making the Lira strong.  However, Turkish business experts predict that it will fall again sometime in the not too distant future as Tukey has a huge defecit in its balance of payments and will need to borrow more money to make up for what it will lose in lost tourist revenue due to the strong Lira.
Hope this helps

Offline Stressed Eric

Exchange Rates
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
Thanks for your info Eric.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Exchange Rates
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 14:58:31 PM »
Just wondering what 'todays' rate is locally? the rate on here shows 2.21 so I usually use this for guidance. My ma-in-law just got 2.09 in M&S - which I know is only coppers but still on £100 its a fiver which is a couple of efes! We always believed it best to wait until we got there to change money and it looks like it was right- was just wondering ?

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
Exchange Rates
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 15:40:06 PM »
In the gold and silver shops opposite Josephs it is 2.15 at present, not sure what it is in Fethiye, not checked over there. Alan

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Exchange Rates
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 15:57:44 PM »
2.16 in Fethiye Doviz on Saturday. :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Exchange Rates
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 19:59:20 PM »
2.11 YTL to the pound at the Post Office today, which is usually the best (commission free) exchange rate in the UK.  So it looks like you continue to get the better rate of exchange in Turkey.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf