Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 5263 times)

Offline ringo

Boxing
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 15:19:48 PM »
Roland La Starza and Joe Louis are a couple that spring to mind.

Offline hoops man

Boxing
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 18:13:43 PM »
Marciano was a mauler and not many since have gone forward in every fight and taken alot by the way from some fantastic fighters. Jersey joe fights were brilliant, Archie moore another great fighter, essard charles to name a few. There were great fights in those days. Nobody got back to say who apart from Foreman and Frazier that was worth mentioning did Ali beat! i love my boxing and cant really come up with any. Have to agree with Ringo.
Who do you think was the best British fighter we had or maybe have?

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Boxing
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 07:51:14 AM »
Ali, floyd patterson,liston, cooper,chuvalo,even bugner who went the distance with him,norton, and every other heavyweight who was around at the time, even the great richard dunn ;)

Offline ringo

Boxing
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 15:53:01 PM »
ok here is my list of the top 10 british fighters of all time.they are not in any particuler order...Joe Calzaghe...Benny Lynch...Ted Kid lewis....Jimmy Wilde...Ken Buchanan...Jim Driscoll...Chris Eubank...John Conteh....Howard Winstone...Bob Fitzsmmons...So get it on fight fans pick the bones out of that lot .All great fighters.

Offline davybill

Boxing
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 15:53:32 PM »
sugar ray robinson was great,but the leaminton licker,randy turpin beat him,but ray won the return bout.
hitman tommy hearns was great, but so was sugar ray leonard they had some great fights,
so many to choose from,

Offline hoops man

Boxing
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 17:27:21 PM »
Hi Des, THe great Richard Dunn? Good fighter no doubt but great? Paterson was good for sure,Liston the big bear i really dont have an opinion one way or another cause nobody can remember anyone he fought although i do believe he was ruthless. As for the fights with Ali, lots of controversy there for sure....today it would be called a fix especially the 2nd fight. I laugh when people talk about boxing and bugners name comes up. He wouldnt be in my top 50 best fighters, just in the heavyweight division. I never saw chuvalo so cant comment really. Norton was pretty useful i do agree but ali again way past his best at the time. Im still not convinced that the Ali era produced many great fighters thus the best of all time being Ali. Dont get me wrong folks, i love Ali and love not only his boxing but also his charisma. He brought something new to boxing cause at the time it was stale. He is actually a hero of mine too but i just cant see him as the self aclaimed greatest. Ringo you mentioned some great fighters we had from the British isles. You forgot Benn, Honeygan, Mc guigan, Lennox Lewis, The list is endless and nobody really knows who was the greatest making boxing such a fantastic topic.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Boxing
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »
Ronnie, Richard Dunn was my attemp at humour, thought you would have spotted that. ;) :).

Offline hoops man

Boxing
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 14:36:09 PM »
Ahhh sorry Des. Khan got beat at the weekend so not good for British boxing but British boxing is really health at the moment and alot of good fighters coming up from liverpool area. keep watching.

Offline davybill

Boxing
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
prince nasseem[spelling] was a good fighter until his ego, got the better of him.

Offline hoops man

Boxing
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 15:10:25 PM »
Yes Dave he was great. When he fought for the title against Barrera and then stopped it was a shame. barrera was a great champ and naseem had never fought his calibur before . Would love to have seen him fighting on. Saturday we have carl Froch. Hes great and i love his go forward attitude. This for me is the biggest uk fight for years. He will have 3 titles if he wins and also the super 7 title. Roll on saturday night.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf