Author Topic: Buying a used car  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Carolyn1957

Buying a used car
« on: April 30, 2011, 17:56:54 PM »
Hi.

Apart from "don't" is there any advice as to the most reasonable and reliable way to buy a second hand car in the Fethiye area please?

We are hoping to buy something small, Micra, Clio size. LPG.

We know they are ridiculously expensive and have already been told so many times about "my friend, my cousin, my uncle" and "best price". We've glanced at various car sales places between Fethiye/Kemer and noticed that no-one displays any prices (no surprise there then!)

Any tips?

Thank you

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
Buying a used car
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 18:35:22 PM »
Carolyn an English friend of mine is selling his fiat albea I think it is 2007 model 1.4 petrol looks in superb condition he wants £6000 for it. He is in the UK till Thursday let me know if you want to veiw it.
Mark

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Buying a used car
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 19:25:31 PM »
Carolyn try Sahibinden the following is with the advance search for Fethiye and current date, gives you an idea.

Sahibinden advanced search

Offline Carolyn1957

Buying a used car
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 19:52:15 PM »
Thank you Mark - I take it all back - my lord and master now tells me he wants an estate so we can take the dogs out, so your friend's car would not be big enough. Hey ho.

Thank you too Loz - still a fountain of knowledge! A certain other forum should have kept hold of you!

Is it easy to buy a 2nd hand car? I'm thinking registration/yabanci plates etc?

I can see him chugging up the road in a former taxi whilst I fly by in the relative comfort of the dolmus!!!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Buying a used car
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 20:24:33 PM »
Whatever car you look at please take it to a main dealer and get them to check it over it could save you an awful lot of money.
I took four cars to main dealers and all had been seriously accident damaged and clocked big time in the end a dealer referred me to one of his customers cars that was for sale and had full service history and all mileage records.
Don't get taken in by the price it may cost you more than you think.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Buying a used car
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 21:18:53 PM »
Carolyn you are ever the jester...lol  but alas I am now totally out of the loop (or round it).
On a more serious note, it sometimes pays to purchase new, get mike to puff his chest out best bull dog face and haggle! or better still puff his chest and push you forward....lol oh sorry I was meant to be serious!!

Years ago there used to be a car sale on a Sunday morning, the location used to be somewhere near to the now Kipa store, this is going back to 2003 and probably before;  The sale started early morning, it was the Turkish equivalent to a UK boot sale but cars only, honest! it was fascinating walking around listening to the haggling and watching the fierce hand gestures.

Has this all stopped now? does anyone else remember?

Gordon has just told me it was call Arac pazar and it is now somewhere on the Patlangic Antalya road, and there was me thinking that he slept for 6 years, well you live and learn ;):D[:o)]

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Buying a used car
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
If you buy second hand be aware that you have to go to Mugla to change the number plates.

Offline tel

Buying a used car
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 19:02:36 PM »
Loz,correct on the car sale behind Kipa as it is still going.
Carolyn1957 I would seriously look at Karaokemarks friends car as it seems good.
I notice your profile says UK,Will you be living in TR to get the most from a car? Buying new is good but remember,higher road tax,insurance and regular service has to be taken into account. So horses for courses.

Offline Carolyn1957

Buying a used car
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 19:15:12 PM »
Hi Mercury - thanks for the heads up about trekking to Mugla. Hopefully(!) wherever we buy a car we will be advised on procedures. Listen to me - the eternal optimist!

Yes Tel - we are moving to Kemer full-time on 20 May. Quite honestly our budget won't stretch to a new car in any event so second hand will be our choice.

Thank you everybody for you help and advice.

Offline tel

Buying a used car
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 19:22:34 PM »
By the way you can avoid going to Mugla if you pay an agent as I did back in January. Not sure,but if you buy from an European owner this may or may not be neccessary anyway as your not changing the plates.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf